Search Forum

Missing/wrong notes of a perfume

Missing/wrong notes of a perfume 12 years ago
Hi Mods,
I hope this is the way to go about reporting missing or wrong notes of a perfume in parfumo's database, if not, please let me know.

Hanbury, according to Maria Candida Gentile's site, features
- Top Notes: Sicilian Lime, Bitter Orange, Sweet Orange
- Heart Notes: Calycanthus, Honey, Acacia
- Base Notes: Natural White Musk, Benzoin

Whereas on parfumo it says
- Top Notes: Bitter orange, Orange, Lemon
- Heart Notes: Acacia honey, Calycanthus
- Base Notes: Benzoin, White musk
12 years ago
Thanks for the correction. I updated the notes in the database. Upload to Parfumo.net may take a few hours.

We do not add attributes of notes if they seem to be rather advertising the fragrance instead of giving a real characteristic. So, no sensual vanilla, mysterious sandalwood, fresh lemon - and no natural white musk!
12 years ago
Apicius:
We do not add attributes of notes if they seem to be rather advertising the fragrance instead of giving a real characteristic.

Makes sense. Thanks for your clarification.
11 years ago
I always thought notes were simply a marketing tool and should in no way be misconstrued as a guide to ingredients or development. Rarely do I see cis-3 hexanol or Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde listed as notes although they're in almost every fresh floral perfume ever made, and I don't think a real caramel isolate has ever actually been used in a perfume despite its popularity as a note.
11 years ago
LovingTheAlien:
I always thought notes were simply a marketing tool and should in no way be misconstrued as a guide to ingredients or development. Rarely do I see cis-3 hexanol or Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde listed as notes although they're in almost every fresh floral perfume ever made, and I don't think a real caramel isolate has ever actually been used in a perfume despite its popularity as a note.
I agree. However, the notes pyramid released by the perfume houses is all we have to give some hints. Of course, one can't take them literally.

Also, many users would not have any idea what cis-3 hexanol or Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde stands for - including me. After all, most users are no professionals.

I once had the idea that we could add the ingrediants list that one can find on the perfume packages, also as a kind of service for people with allergies. Let's see, maybe we can have such a feature in the future.
11 years ago
Apicius:
LovingTheAlien:
I agree. However, the notes pyramid released by the perfume houses is all we have to give some hints. Of course, one can't take them literally.

Also, many users would not have any idea what cis-3 hexanol or Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde stands for - including me. After all, most users are no professionals.

I once had the idea that we could add the ingrediants list that one can find on the perfume packages, also as a kind of service for people with allergies. Let's see, maybe we can have such a feature in the future.

As an abstraction, it is a nice service, although notes are often described by a marketing team and not a perfumer.

Cis-3 Hexanol is leaf alcohol, used in the creation of muguet and more specifically lilac accords as a top note. It's also the main ingredient of many insects' allomonal (defensive) spray. The other one mentioned is sold as Lyral - a very popular muguet base.

Even listing this would be futile, however. Synthetics are chameleons by nature, and despite Yatagan prominently featuring both of these chemicals in its composition, nobody would ever accuse it of having a lily-of-the-valley note.

I guess I've defeated my own argument, here.Embarassed

Listing the allergens would be difficult considering how many changes many perfumes have gone through in the past 10 years - especially those available en masse like White Shoulders, Obsession, etc. They seem to have a different formula every year!
11 years ago
LovingTheAlien:
Listing the allergens would be difficult considering how many changes many perfumes have gone through in the past 10 years - especially those available en masse like White Shoulders, Obsession, etc. They seem to have a different formula every year!
Probably, you are right.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Research Missing/wrong notes of a perfume
Jump to