Search Forum

I missed the fall & holiday perfume releases. Suggestion

I missed the fall & holiday perfume releases. Suggestion 11 years ago
Because of my hectic work schedule this past fall -from September through the New Year- I completely missed out on all the fragrance releases during that time, especially the holidays. Anything earth-shatteringly incredible I should be testing?
Re: I missed the fall & holiday perfume releases. Sugges 11 years ago
Greysolon:
Because of my hectic work schedule this past fall -from September through the New Year- I completely missed out on all the fragrance releases during that time, especially the holidays. Anything earth-shatteringly incredible I should be testing?

There have been so many new releases that I have lost all track of them! In fact, I am spending this year reviewing everything already in my house--bottle, decant, and sample--and hoping that by 2014 the niche house bubble will have burst!

Laughing
11 years ago
Greysolon:

There have been so many new releases that I have lost all track of them! In fact, I am spending this year reviewing everything already in my house--bottle, decant, and sample--and hoping that by 2014 the niche house bubble will have burst!
Laughing

I started combing through the past 4 months of Parfumo reviews and it didn't take long to get completely boggled. Strange thing, nearly all the reviews were signed, "Sherapop". Ho hum, there's a surprise. Wink Seriously, how do you keep track of it all?

Actually, you posted a review of an older fragrance I intend to try: Molinard Homme II. Sounds interesting and, more importantly, cheap (i.e. I won't have to hide it from my wife).

But sticking to the subject of new products, Apicius had several interesting reviews of fragrances that I assume are new and I intend to follow up on. He always seems to find fragrances I don't hear about stateside and his narrative perspective always makes for interesting finds.

How about new trends? I seem to recall two reviews mentioning... RASPBERRY?! One of Apicius' reviews was entitled "Frankenstein's Raspberry"! Oh please, no...
And what about passing trends? Are we still in the age of oud and iso e? Sherapop, one of your reviews said "oud-less... And beautiful!"

I'll gladly accept any suggestions...
11 years ago
Greysolon, The one masculine that seemed to garner a lot of attention late last year was Arquiste Boutonniere no.7. All I can tell you is that it features gardenia.
Last edited by Cryptic on 07.01.2013, 16:42; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
My "Frankenstein's Raspberry" refers to "Guerrilla 2" which is not a new release but an interesting perfume.

The two most remarkable new releases I discovered during the last 6 months to me were Divine's "L'homme Infini" and Acqua di Stresa's "Calycanthus Brumae".

I highly recommend ordering the sample packs from Divine and Acqua di Stresa.
11 years ago
Greysolon, if you think about oud, I recommend to have a look at the real thing instead of the synthetics by IFF or Givaudan.

For this, you don't have to buy the expensive oils from EnsarOud or the Arab brands. Ajmal has a 30 ml spray perfume for a moderate price: "Dahn Oudh Al Shams", and the even more intense "Dahn Oudh Al Shams Special Edition". I believe they can offer a reasonable price because they apparently have founded their own plantages in India several decades ago.

But beware! I have given away samples in order to get reviews on the German Parfumo, and most of the people disliked it. Natural oud can have a kind of mustiness and animalic touch that could remind you of something special. In German, we use the euphemism "gesunde Landluft" for it, which means "healthy country air". Don't be afraid of the farmer's stables!

The synthetic oud hype is continuing but nothing worth mentioning, except if you count in the new Divine.
11 years ago
The only Q4 2012 release that wowed me was Tzora by Anat Fritz.

In addition to Q4, I believe LiquidNight by A Lab On Fire was released in September and I love that one.
11 years ago
Apicius:
My "Frankenstein's Raspberry" refers to "Guerrilla 2" which is not a new release but an interesting perfume.

The two most remarkable new releases I discovered during the last 6 months to me were Divine's "L'homme Infini" and Acqua di Stresa's "Calycanthus Brumae".

For this, you don't have to buy the expensive oils... Ajmal has a 30 ml spray perfume for a moderate price: "Dahn Oudh Al Shams", and the even more intense "Dahn Oudh Al Shams Special Edition".

But beware... Natural oud can have a kind of mustiness and animalic touch that could remind you of something special. In German, we use the euphemism "gesunde Landluft" for it, which means "healthy country air". Don't be afraid of the farmer's stables!

Drseid
The only Q4 2012 release that wowed me was Tzora by Anat Fritz.
In addition to Q4, I believe LiquidNight by A Lab On Fire was released in September and I love that one.

Apicius, I read your Divine review earlier and already had that one on my list. But Aqua di Stresa? I'd never heard of the house. There's that European perspective I was counting on from you! In addition to Calycanthus Bruma I hope I can find samples of their namesake fragrance (Aqua di Stresa) and Fresh Touch. Both look interesting. Although the name, "Fresh Touch" sounds so commercially generic to my jaded American ear. Hopefully, it's just one of those quirks of language that doesn't translate poetically or its generic connotation simply wasn't a consideration in American-English.
As for the oud suggestions, I'm in the process of writing a postive review of Cuir de Russie so the prospect of eine kleine gesunde Landluft musik is not necessarily a bad thing.

Drseid, I, too, am a huge fan of Terre d'Hermes so Tzora will have to be sampled. As much as I enjoy Terre d'Hermes maybe it's time to move on. Also, for the all the fragrances I've sampled, I've only tried one offering by A Lab on Fire. Time to rectify that by trying LiquidNight.

Cryptic, the Arquiste line sounds interesting. In addition to your suggestion, AromiErotici wrote a review of Fleurs de Louis which was also released in 2012.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Recommendations I missed the fall & holiday perfume releases. Suggestion
Jump to