LADY DAY by Maria Candida GENTILE
LE CHERCHE MIDI NO. 30 EAU D’HIVER
"Le Smoking" for Denver Art Museum by DSH Perfumes
Lightscape Ulrich Lang New York
Meadow & Fir - Phoenix Botanicals
Moss Gown - Providence Perfume Co.
Purusa Root by Sebastian Signs
Qajar Rose - Lalun Naturals, Inc.
RAW SPIRIT "Firetree" Fragrance Oil by World Senses Pty Ltd.
Rima XI - Carner Barcelona
Rodin , L. Rodin, LLC by Rodin Olio Lusso
SPEAKEASY by P. Frapin & Cie
Strawberry Passion by Skye Botanicals
TERRASSE A ST-GERMAIN, JUL ET MAD
TRAYEE, NEELA VERMEIRE CREATION
Treazon by Ayala Moriel Parfums
WILD ROSES BY AFTELIER PERFUMES
WOODY by smell bent

Thoughts? I'm wondering how anything from By Kilian can claim the label of "Indie," and as much as I love Trayee, I'm pretty sure it was also nominated last year. Oh, and I think I need to try Hothouse Flower asap. Idea
11 years ago
Seems like a pretty obscure list. I wonder if a lot of the indie folks didn't make new scents in 2012 or just didn't get nominated or what.
11 years ago
I guess a lot depends on how you define "Indie," and I assume that the perfumer has to be IFRA compliant to be eligible. But By Kilian? Really??? Last year Odin's Amanu won, and I remember thinking that a fragrance that's only carried in Barney's just doesn't seem very Indie.
11 years ago
There is not much that I know yet in this list, so I can't pick a favorite.

I wonder how these sort of lists are put together. I miss Divine's L'Homme Infini and at least one of the new Lubin fragrances. If Frapin counts as "indie" they should do as well.
11 years ago
The folks have to nominate themselves and pay an entry fee of $400 per entry for non-members and $200 for members, I believe. I find the whole nomination and selection process disappointing at best, and laughable at worst.
Last edited by Drseid on 18.01.2013, 09:57; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
The fact that the nominees are self-selected explains why the list is so strange. Who are the judges that determine the finalists and the winner? I almost afraid to hear the answer.
11 years ago
Whew. I'm glad I don't look totally out of it or massively ignorant or some horrible combination of the two. Smile I was wondering why I didn't see more of the usual suspects. Self-selection and a huge entry fee will definitely skew the results.
11 years ago
Go smell bent! I hope it wins. Aside from By Kilian and Ineke, I too am not familiar with the rest.
11 years ago
I had to edit my prior post slightly as I re-read the entry document (which I will link to below from a different site) and it says an independent panel will make the final selection from the entries...

So while the fee and self selection of candidates still holds, the final decision made is at least independent according to the document. Still, when you have individual companies selecting themselves for nominations it is very hard to know if *any* of the choices is really worthy of the award to begin with. That is not to imply that all the scents on the list *are* unworthy, but who was missed because they either didn't have the funds for the fee or felt the process was compromised and wanted not to be part of it? I guess we the public will never know.

http://www.fragrance.org/indie/2013-indie-nomi nee-form.pdf
11 years ago
Thanks for posting the nomination form, Drseid. By Kilian is owned by LVMH and therefore ought to be ineligible per this rule IMHO:

"Must be independent, not distributed or owned by a large company..."
11 years ago
Drseid:
The folks have to nominate themselves and pay an entry fee of $400 per entry for non-members and $200 for members, I believe. I find the whole nomination and selection process disappointing at best, and laughable at worst.

What??? Nominating oneself for an award???

So basically it's just some thinly veiled marketing.
11 years ago
And I wonder how many of these worthy nominations DOESN'T smell like anything else we've all smelled before. I bet not many, if any.

From my extensive sampling thus far, I find current perfumery to be quite derivative. I guess that's why so many of mine are oldies but goodies.

Awards, schmawards, who gives a crap.
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Drseid:

That's pretty much how I see it...
Re: FiFi Indie Award nominees 11 years ago
Cryptic:
Amber Oud by Kilian
Thoughts? I'm wondering how anything from By Kilian can claim the label of "Indie," \ Idea

I agree: how can an LVMH house be Indie?
Maybe we should call them pseudo-Indie?

Rolling Eyes
11 years ago
Drseid:
Dulcemio:
Drseid:

That's pretty much how I see it...

+1

Sad
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
And I wonder how many of these worthy nominations DOESN'T smell like anything else we've all smelled before. I bet not many, if any.

From my extensive sampling thus far, I find current perfumery to be quite derivative. I guess that's why so many of mine are oldies but goodies.

+1

I'm on a mission to review everything already in my possession before acquiring anything new--hoping that the niche bubble pops by 2014!

Rolling Eyes
11 years ago
The winner gets $10,000, so next year I may mix up a niche fragrance in my basement and nominate myself.
11 years ago
Cryptic:
The winner gets $10,000, so next year I may mix up a niche fragrance in my basement and nominate myself.

Oh sounds like fun, I'll start jotting down some names for your fragrances. LaughingLaughingLaughing

I knew who when...... our very own Cryptic. Wink
11 years ago
Cryptic:

So are you taking requests? You do know there is a serious shortage of grief-stricken fragrances, right? Very Happy
11 years ago
Yes, and "Romantic Loner" is already in use, so all alternate suggestions are welcome. Cool
11 years ago
Cincy:
Cryptic:

Oh sounds like fun, I'll start jotting down some names for your fragrances. LaughingLaughingLaughing

Cincy, your mission (if you choose to accept it) will be to take gorgeous photos of the finished product. Surprised
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Cincy:
Cryptic:

Cincy, your mission (if you choose to accept it) will be to take gorgeous photos of the finished product. Surprised
11 years ago
I must not have hit submit.

Ahhh, we do have some great pictures on Parfumo don't we. I hope we have made Don (Parfumo) proud. Cool

The best part of the fragrance buisness for me would be the names. Wink I guess the money would be fun too. Laughing
11 years ago
Naming suggestions are welcome, but nothing "noir," please. Too many of them already. Wink
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Naming suggestions are welcome, but nothing "noir," please. Too many of them already. Wink

I have an idea: how about
"Not An Oud Perfume"
Laughing
1 - 25 by 30
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands FiFi Indie Award nominees
Jump to