Search Forum

I smell Basenotes first. Why?

I smell Basenotes first. Why? 11 years ago
For some reason, I smell Patch, Amber, Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Cedar etc. why I first apply a fragrance. If it is a fragrance I don't know, I tend to pass it up if I don't get the wood vibe in the initial blast. Citrus usually turns me off straight away but one little hint of wood or smoke, I wait for it to develop.

Why is it that I smell Basenotes first? Does this even make sense?

Any explanations?
11 years ago
Maybe it is because those are the notes that you like, and therefore you are "searching" for them with your nose. I am the same when trying to find strawberry, caramel, or chocolate notes, although those are more of top notes than base.
11 years ago
This happens to me sometimes, Digindirt. I find that these perfumes usually have base notes that overpower weaker top notes and the balance of the ingredients are a bit flawed.
11 years ago
Thank you for the replies. There was an SA at Sephora who told me that my nose is "pretty good" because I could smell Patch and Sandal when testing unknown fragrances. Every time I tried something and liked it, it included my favorite bases when we looked up the notes. Now I need to learn how detect top notes other than citrus which leaves me running in the opposite direction!
Re: I smell Basenotes first. Why? 11 years ago
Digindirt:
For some reason, I smell Patch, Amber, Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Cedar etc. why I first apply a fragrance. If it is a fragrance I don't know, I tend to pass it up if I don't get the wood vibe in the initial blast. Citrus usually turns me off straight away but one little hint of wood or smoke, I wait for it to develop.

Why is it that I smell Basenotes first? Does this even make sense?

Any explanations?

The tuning of any given set of basenotes ( in any given fragrance ) can be "set" to encroach on the opening accord. I understand your wondering about that because I sample certain scents that do that as well. They seem to come out of the bottle almost fully developed.

There are many that don't however and have to transition over time to reveal the base and drydown. If you have this experience with EVERY fragrance you try or wear, perhaps your olfactory is predisposed to unravel them first. I surely wouldn't consider this a deterrent or handicap by any means.
11 years ago
It doesn't happen with EVERY fragrance. I actually have some fragrances around here that boast bases that I love but I just cannot get past the citrus or whatever the annoying top notes are. I guess that's the difference between love, like and I can live without it.

It would be cool if my nose was predisposed to single these out though lol. I wonder if I could make a living out of it, hmmmmm.
11 years ago
I'm getting better. I am beginning to detect and appreciate variations of orange and orange blossom. Pretty soon I'll be able to detect top notes yay!
11 years ago
Flaconneur:
This happens to me sometimes, Digindirt. I find that these perfumes usually have base notes that overpower weaker top notes and the balance of the ingredients are a bit flawed.

I've noticed that this happens every so often to me, so I just wrote it off as one of those weird things that happens. Skin chemistry? Bad sample? Poorly-constructed fragrance? I have no idea.
11 years ago
Silverfire:
I've noticed that this happens every so often to me, so I just wrote it off as one of those weird things that happens. Skin chemistry? Bad sample? Poorly-constructed fragrance? I have no idea.

I find that this issue has a great deal more to do with the balance of a perfume. Sure, if something is called "Patchouli..." then you expect patchouli to be prominent. Having top notes completely run over by heavier base notes is simply unbalanced in my opinion.
11 years ago
Flaconneur:
Silverfire:

I find that this issue has a great deal more to do with the balance of a perfume. Sure, if something is called "Patchouli..." then you expect patchouli to be prominent. Having top notes completely run over by heavier base notes is simply unbalanced in my opinion.

I am beginning to understand what is meant by imbalanced. For example, I have avoided citrus for a long time but through testing quality fragrances containing citrus, I no longer write them off immediately. Next I'll have to work on getting my nose past raspberry notes. For me they give off a cough syrup smell that completely ruins the fragrance for me. Maybe I should test first and then read the notes rather than the other way around.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Discussions I smell Basenotes first. Why?
Jump to