Search Forum

Welcome to Parfumo Research!

1 - 25 by 48
Welcome to Parfumo Research! 11 years ago
Finally, Parfumo Research is live. Please post your questions and comments here!
Last edited by Apicius on 08.05.2013, 16:35; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Glad all the international folks are now involved as well.
Enjoy it and help where you can Wink

No worries about the german notes translation btw Smile
11 years ago
Awesome! Thanks a lot!
What about the Interesting Facts section? Will the already existing facts from the German page be transferred or would you like us to submit over here?
11 years ago
MiaVonTrost:
What about the Interesting Facts section? Will the already existing facts from the German page be transferred or would you like us to submit over here?

Good question.
I'm not 100% sure about this.

I guess Don will do this step by step as it might be too much for the start.
It is planned to do something with this section in the next "update" of the system Wink

The existing facts should be translated I guess.
I'd recommend to wait some time till we start with suggestions also from this site (meaning the international Parfumo version).

Correct me, if I'm mistaken, Apicius.
11 years ago
The Interesting Facts section is not included at the moment. Maybe Don will do this in the future.
11 years ago
A few words about what is behind Parfumo Research:

At Parfumo, the users have always been able to suggest missing perfumes or to report errors in the database. For a very long time, we had a simple 2-step workflow. A few people checked the proposals, then Don checked them again and finally added them to the catalog.

This worked out fine until Parfumo began to grow. When Don started the development of Parfumo International in 2011, it was the first time we got into an awful delay that was not so easy to handle. Some people had to wait for months until their proposals were finally added.

It became clear that we needed something else, the old system simply did not comply any longer with our quality standards. After we had got Parfumo.net going, the concept for the next major project was designed: Parfumo Research.

It is pretty obvious that Don cannot look after each wrong fragrance note that needs a correction or look deeply into every single proposal for a new perfume addition. He can either do this – or develop new features for Parfumo. We came to the conclusion that we must get Don out of this work in the long run. So, the question came up if it would be possible to hand over this job to somebody else – maybe to the whole Parfumo community, in a way.

The idea was born that we want to organize the adding process more or less according to the Wikipedia concept. This means that we want the users not only to suggest new perfumes or report error corrections. We also want the Parfumo community take the lead in checking the proposals, discuss them, enhance them if necessary and finally give the Okay for the adding to the catalog. What looks like an adding feature on first sight is actually a little bit more. All users will be able to discuss a proposal or a revision. Some users will also be able to make changes to the original proposal if necessary to correct an error or enhance the information. Proposals and revisions will only be added to the database if a certain number of trusted users have given their okay.

Not all users will be able to edit other people's proposals. We do not find this appropriate for newbies or those who only occasionally take part. And so, there will be different levels of authorization. For instance, whoever corrects or enhances the information given by another user must have read and understood the Parfumo Research guidelines.

Quality comes first! Today, not many people have enhanced authorizations. You find them in the “Team” tab. Don will slowly build a team of supporters who will look after the quality of the perfume records. If it comes worst, the team will stay as small as it is today. If we are good, a big number of people will join. If things turn out best this great community will eventually take over the complete maintenance of perfume data sets.

The more users will play an active role, the more effective the process will become. I believe that we should be able to reduce the current queue and so reduce the time between a proposal and the actual addition. We might also be able to considerably increase the number of additions and revisions. We believe that a complete perfume community can achieve much more than a small team, given that we find the right way to get us organized. This is why we talk about a project to build a catalog of all perfumes in the world.

This is all new to us. Parfumo is the first perfume site that invites its users to take part like this. There is absolutely no experience that we can refer to, and we do not know if it will work out in the end.

We are not in a hurry. The next days, we will take the time necessary to thoroughly look at the new system and test its usability. Please get acquainted with it and give us your feedback.
11 years ago
This is a great idea. I'm impressed! Of course it will work: Wikipedia works, doesn't it?

Very Happy
11 years ago
I too think this is a great idea and salute it wholeheartedly.
11 years ago
Lovely! Thanks a bunch for making this great feature available to us all.
It feels good to be able to proactively participate in the growth of the Parfumo database.
11 years ago
MNQ:
Guys, I've died and gone to heaven with this new feature.....bravo!!! Always enjoyed researching as not a confident reviewer so a big thank you...this site has so much to offer every kind of perfume enthusiast and thanks for implementing this Smile

Wow, thanks Smile
Imteresting Facts now included 11 years ago
The field Interesting Facts has now been included in the form.

We will soon update the guidelines in the Help section accordingly.
11 years ago
All scents that were in the old system are now transferred to Parfumo Research, so don't wonder why your proposed scents are gone please. Check Parfumo Research and do some active work if you like.
11 years ago
How can I find my transferred proposal?
11 years ago
MiaVonTrost:
How can I find my transferred proposal?
Go to ParfumoResearch >-- Proposals and type "Mia" into the search field!
11 years ago
Hah! Never thought of that one. Thanks, Apicius!
Don't forget the sources! 11 years ago
Just a few tips for proposing fragrances to the database.
Don't forget the sources! Without sources we can't accept the proposals as we can't verify the proposed data.
Look for existing fragrances in the database - maybe under another brand name or an alternative writing of the name from the same brand. Sometimes it's tricky.
When proposing notes only use explicit notes given and no description elements like "a sweet and clean" fragrances. this doesn't automatically mean there are sweet and fresh notes in it.

Thanks. Smile

The reason why I bring this up again is that the FinalVerifiers don't always have the time to notify everybody and check everything themselves again.
11 years ago
I'm having a bit of fun submitting to the database. It feel kind of nice that suggestions are being looked at often and accepted/rejected in a timely manner instead of waiting months and months or ignored.
11 years ago
Hayven:
that suggestions are being looked at often and accepted/rejected in a timely manner instead of waiting months and months

those days are over CoolWink
11 years ago
A great idea and job well done.
Let's get to 30,000 perfumes 11 years ago
Flaconneur:

When I compare BN - Frag - and Parfumo -
Parfumo already has the fullest databank.

As of this day -
BN - 21,458
Fra - 18,461
Pa - 28,648

This counts for a lot, when outside eyes via Google want to read up about a perfume and then find a well-organized Perfume page with solid facts.

Way to go.
Re: Let's get to 30,000 perfumes 11 years ago
Pipette:
Flaconneur:

When I compare BN - Frag - and Parfumo -
Parfumo already has the fullest databank.

As of this day -
BN - 21,458
Fra - 18,461
Pa - 28,648

This counts for a lot, when outside eyes via Google want to read up about a perfume and then find a well-organized Perfume page with solid facts.

Way to go.

Thanks for the stats Pipette. This does say a lot considering the age of each of the sites.
A concentrated effort 11 years ago
Well, the difference is how the input is approached.

Over at BN or at Fragr, well-meaning members put into a topic "Submit Missing Fragrances" a string of either a photo, a short description, a few, sometimes incomplete data.

That input gets transformed into solid data for the website databank by only a few dedicated members behind the curtains.

Here, a simple straightforward Form was developed, the entire membership was invited to "work", and that work was made easy. The Form marshals all the data.

So, the "work" is spread over many shoulders. Knowledgeable verifiers and evaluators make the input solid and dependable.

In addition, the Perfume Page is like a "shingle" to advertise. A new perfume is put in. Reviews follow. On the righthand side is showing how many members have it. And more ...

Once the outside viewer has seen the Perfume Page, it is not too far to go over to Forum discussions or read the intelligent Blog-Articles, especially those on the updating Blog-Roll.

Smile
The numbers are good 11 years ago
The numbers speak for themselves.

After the Research effort was launched, it really took off.

It was fairly easy to fill in the blanks in the Form that is provided. The real work takes place when the INPUT is sifted through and made solid.

In my estimation, it will take about 10 more days until the milestone of 30,000 perfumes is reached.

But why should it stop there? That is just a marker. There are countless obscure perfumes still somewhere inside the Internet bowels and hundreds new ones are issued every single day.

My understanding is that ALL PERFUMES ARE WELCOME even if the brand is not that wonderful. (Except filfth, that would be against the general rules.)
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Research Welcome to Parfumo Research!
1 - 25 by 48
Jump to