Übersicht Perfume Consulting How to remove perfume?
Silverfire
Silverfire
109 Posts
SilverfireSilverfire How to remove perfume? 26.05.2013, 21:32
I've read that rubbing alcohol is supposed to do the trick, but honestly I don't think that works, with especially strong scents or with perfume oils. I'm not convinced that soap and hot water always do it, either. Does anyone have any surefire techniques, or is it a matter of scrub harder (three movies: Scrub Hard, Scrub Harder, a Good Day to Scrub Hard)?

Apicius
Apicius
3433 Posts
ApiciusApicius 26.05.2013, 22:07
I usually use a pre shave which contains a lot of alcohol. I use the pre shave by Speick.

Flavorite
Flavorite
252 Posts
FlavoriteFlavorite 26.05.2013, 23:37
I've started using this technique which works 90% of the time unless the fragrance is truly malicious.
1. Rub unscented aluminum containing antiperspirant over the scented skin. Wait 5 five minutes.
2. Rub the area thoroughly with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol or Ethanol (Vodka).Allow to air dry for a minute.
3. Now wash the area with warm water and dish soap solution. Soaking area if possible for a couple of minutes in warm water.
4. Dry area and if any trace of the offending scent remains then apply a scented lotion or a different more appealing scent over the area.

But if someone could invent an instant fragrance neutralizer spray/wipe...I would buy it by the case, for sure!

28.05.2013, 00:32
I've had good luck with those pre-packaged "Wet Wipes". I use two packets, and it works quite well. Not ideal for really heavy-duty fragrances, I think.

PBullFriend
PBullFriend
172 Posts
PBullFriendPBullFriend 28.05.2013, 00:36
When I'm sampling for the first time, I only apply to my wrists/inner arms. The positive of this is that the skin there is tougher and more accessible than one's neck or chest, for instance. If I don't like it, I use an unscented exfoliating scrub by Ahava that contains pretty large salt crystals. (I was just looking for it & they don't seem to make it any more, but there must be other unscented exfoliating scrubs out there.) This has worked better than anything else I've tried, including alcohol, witch hazel, and oily scrubs.

Cincy
Cincy
2568 Posts
CincyCincy 28.05.2013, 01:01
Do you think baking soda would work?

Cryptic
Cryptic
2615 Posts
CrypticCryptic 28.05.2013, 01:03
Guys, I use mineral oil and it works like a charm.

28.05.2013, 01:08
Nice to get all these tips--now I have to experiment!

WolfM
WolfM
488 Posts
WolfMWolfM 28.05.2013, 01:53
Cryptic wrote:

ShockedShocked ?!?

Razz
Cincy wrote:

Agree, I think this will work. But shouldn't rub because soda is abrasive! and will damage the skin. It would be better to make a thick paste of baking soda and warm water, roughly equal parts; apply gently and leave a few minutes baking soda on your skin and rinse with lukewarm water.
I think also for toothpaste... used in the same way.
Other method that I know is with vinegar and olive oil. You need to make a mixture of equal parts vinegar and olive oil. Wipe the skin with the mixture, wait 10 minutes, then rinse with warm water and wash with mild soap.

Flaconneur
Flaconneur
585 Posts
FlaconneurFlaconneur 28.05.2013, 02:53
Are you asking about removing perfume from skin or clothing, Silverfire?

Sherapop
Sherapop
1365 Posts
SherapopSherapop 28.05.2013, 03:27
If you mean from your body, there's no better solution than:

a long, hot, bubble bath!!!!

Smile

Silverfire
Silverfire
109 Posts
SilverfireSilverfire 28.05.2013, 04:31
Flaconneur wrote:

Skin.

I don't seem to have a problem removing it from clothing.

Greysolon
Greysolon
873 Posts
GreysolonGreysolon 28.05.2013, 11:52
Sherapop wrote:
If you mean from your body, there's no better solution than:

a long, hot, bubble bath!!!!

Smile

+1 Smile

Cryptic
Cryptic
2615 Posts
CrypticCryptic 28.05.2013, 12:33
WolfM wrote:
Cryptic wrote:

ShockedShocked ?!?

Razz

Yes, that's the brand I use, lol. I didn't know it came in the large economy size. Wink

Flavorite
Flavorite
252 Posts
FlavoriteFlavorite 29.05.2013, 05:04
Cincy wrote:

I just tried to make a thick paste of baking soda and slather it over a sample of KM Soussanne on my arm. It takes the intensity down about 50%, but it is definitely still strong enough to annoy me. I'm going to try the mineral oil method next. Maybe tomato juice, like we use on the dogs for skunk attacks would work?

ChapeauClack
ChapeauClack
192 Posts
ChapeauClackChapeauClack 29.05.2013, 06:08
Quite the fertile topic hehehe

I'm thinking typical reflux remedies like Maalox should do the job pretty well, or at least so suggest their ingredients.

I'll experiment and report in a while))

Edited to add: yes, it worked. I just slathered some on the perfumed area and waited a couple minutes. I guess the longer the wait, the more chances to remove even pretty bombastic stuff (I sacrificed some of my Dune for the experiment). Maalox smells kind of funny itself though.

Sherapop
Sherapop
1365 Posts
SherapopSherapop 29.05.2013, 14:54
The reason why I prefer a bath is because all of the other remedies require one to pass through yet another unwanted scent stage.
I prefer to begin anew with a clean skin slate!

Wink

Flavorite
Flavorite
252 Posts
FlavoriteFlavorite 29.05.2013, 22:59
Sherapop wrote:
The reason why I prefer a bath is because all of the other remedies require one to pass through yet another unwanted scent stage.
I prefer to begin anew with a clean skin slate!

Wink

Yes, indeed. This is the truth. I am wrestling with what to do when a hot bath is 3 hours away as I am planning an all day trip to the niche perfume boutique & Department store which are 3 hours from my house in a couple of weeks for my Birthday. It's quite a conundrum.

29.05.2013, 23:20
Still a very sweet conundrum! Try packing the "wet wipes" in your bag; it's better than nothing in such situations. And have fun.

Flavorite
Flavorite
252 Posts
FlavoriteFlavorite 31.05.2013, 03:03
I think those that have suggested an oil based substance are definitely on to something! I didn't have any mineral oil handy but I tried some safflower oil and unscented sesame oil...followed by soap and water- it worked great- I had something with monster sillage on from Lubin- came right off completely. I am sure when I pull out the bottle of cooking oil from my purse at the luxury fragrance counter I will have some explaining to do! Hehehe.

Flaconneur
Flaconneur
585 Posts
FlaconneurFlaconneur 31.05.2013, 03:23
Silverfire wrote:
Flaconneur wrote:

Skin.

I don't seem to have a problem removing it from clothing.

They only method I find effective is unscented moisturizer. Applied to the skin it will completely neutralize the scent.

Sorceress
Sorceress
302 Posts
SorceressSorceress 03.03.2014, 03:18
I find hand sanitizer gels work really well for especially stinky perfumes. Two really good applications followed by a good soapy wash always gets rid of the worst offenders.

Greysolon
Greysolon
873 Posts
GreysolonGreysolon 15.03.2014, 17:17
Sorceress wrote:
I find hand sanitizer gels work really well for especially stinky perfumes. Two really good applications followed by a good soapy wash always gets rid of the worst offenders.

Sorceress, ever since I read your post I've been using hand sanitizer and it seems to work quite well. By comparison when I've used straight alcohol it never seemed to work as well as the hand sanitizer. That makes me wonder if hand sanitizers generally contain a deodorizer which helps eliminate or mask the smell?

Sorceress
Sorceress
302 Posts
SorceressSorceress 15.03.2014, 17:38
I'm not a chemist and wouldn't understand the why's, but the hand sanitizer I use is 62% ethyl alcohol vs. a 91% isopropyl alcohol that I could also use straight. The sanitizer also has glycerin and aloe in it to soften the rub. I just know it works. I purchase mine at my local Dollar Store and use it for a variety of things. It's easy on the skin. I'm glad it worked for you, Greysolon.

Deefit
Deefit
23 Posts
DeefitDeefit 15.03.2014, 20:26
You need something that's oil based, as fragrance is also oil based. I remember an old thread on another forum about this subject that had some great solutions but I can't find it anymore.

Scrubbing just irritates the skin and won't really remove the scent.

Übersicht Perfume Consulting How to remove perfume?

Page 1 of 2