Search Forum

How to remove perfume?

1 - 25 by 34
How to remove perfume? 11 years ago

I've read that rubbing alcohol is supposed to do the trick, but honestly I don't think that works, with especially strong scents or with perfume oils. I'm not convinced that soap and hot water always do it, either. Does anyone have any surefire techniques, or is it a matter of scrub harder (three movies: Scrub Hard, Scrub Harder, a Good Day to Scrub Hard)?

11 years ago
I usually use a pre shave which contains a lot of alcohol. I use the pre shave by Speick.
11 years ago
I've started using this technique which works 90% of the time unless the fragrance is truly malicious.
1. Rub unscented aluminum containing antiperspirant over the scented skin. Wait 5 five minutes.
2. Rub the area thoroughly with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol or Ethanol (Vodka).Allow to air dry for a minute.
3. Now wash the area with warm water and dish soap solution. Soaking area if possible for a couple of minutes in warm water.
4. Dry area and if any trace of the offending scent remains then apply a scented lotion or a different more appealing scent over the area.

But if someone could invent an instant fragrance neutralizer spray/wipe...I would buy it by the case, for sure!
11 years ago 1
When I'm sampling for the first time, I only apply to my wrists/inner arms. The positive of this is that the skin there is tougher and more accessible than one's neck or chest, for instance. If I don't like it, I use an unscented exfoliating scrub by Ahava that contains pretty large salt crystals. (I was just looking for it & they don't seem to make it any more, but there must be other unscented exfoliating scrubs out there.) This has worked better than anything else I've tried, including alcohol, witch hazel, and oily scrubs.
11 years ago
Do you think baking soda would work?
11 years ago
Guys, I use mineral oil and it works like a charm.
11 years ago
Cryptic:

ShockedShocked ?!?

Razz
Cincy:

Agree, I think this will work. But shouldn't rub because soda is abrasive! and will damage the skin. It would be better to make a thick paste of baking soda and warm water, roughly equal parts; apply gently and leave a few minutes baking soda on your skin and rinse with lukewarm water.
I think also for toothpaste... used in the same way.
Other method that I know is with vinegar and olive oil. You need to make a mixture of equal parts vinegar and olive oil. Wipe the skin with the mixture, wait 10 minutes, then rinse with warm water and wash with mild soap.
11 years ago
Are you asking about removing perfume from skin or clothing, Silverfire?
11 years ago
If you mean from your body, there's no better solution than:

a long, hot, bubble bath!!!!

Smile
11 years ago
Flaconneur:

Skin.

I don't seem to have a problem removing it from clothing.
11 years ago
Sherapop:
If you mean from your body, there's no better solution than:

a long, hot, bubble bath!!!!

Smile

+1 Smile
11 years ago
WolfM:
Cryptic:

ShockedShocked ?!?

Razz

Yes, that's the brand I use, lol. I didn't know it came in the large economy size. Wink
11 years ago
Cincy:

I just tried to make a thick paste of baking soda and slather it over a sample of KM Soussanne on my arm. It takes the intensity down about 50%, but it is definitely still strong enough to annoy me. I'm going to try the mineral oil method next. Maybe tomato juice, like we use on the dogs for skunk attacks would work?
11 years ago
Quite the fertile topic hehehe

I'm thinking typical reflux remedies like Maalox should do the job pretty well, or at least so suggest their ingredients.

I'll experiment and report in a while))

Edited to add: yes, it worked. I just slathered some on the perfumed area and waited a couple minutes. I guess the longer the wait, the more chances to remove even pretty bombastic stuff (I sacrificed some of my Dune for the experiment). Maalox smells kind of funny itself though.
11 years ago
The reason why I prefer a bath is because all of the other remedies require one to pass through yet another unwanted scent stage.
I prefer to begin anew with a clean skin slate!

Wink
11 years ago
Sherapop:
The reason why I prefer a bath is because all of the other remedies require one to pass through yet another unwanted scent stage.
I prefer to begin anew with a clean skin slate!

Wink

Yes, indeed. This is the truth. I am wrestling with what to do when a hot bath is 3 hours away as I am planning an all day trip to the niche perfume boutique & Department store which are 3 hours from my house in a couple of weeks for my Birthday. It's quite a conundrum.
11 years ago
I think those that have suggested an oil based substance are definitely on to something! I didn't have any mineral oil handy but I tried some safflower oil and unscented sesame oil...followed by soap and water- it worked great- I had something with monster sillage on from Lubin- came right off completely. I am sure when I pull out the bottle of cooking oil from my purse at the luxury fragrance counter I will have some explaining to do! Hehehe.
11 years ago
Silverfire:
Flaconneur:

Skin.

I don't seem to have a problem removing it from clothing.

They only method I find effective is unscented moisturizer. Applied to the skin it will completely neutralize the scent.
10 years ago
I find hand sanitizer gels work really well for especially stinky perfumes. Two really good applications followed by a good soapy wash always gets rid of the worst offenders.
10 years ago
Sorceress:
I find hand sanitizer gels work really well for especially stinky perfumes. Two really good applications followed by a good soapy wash always gets rid of the worst offenders.

Sorceress, ever since I read your post I've been using hand sanitizer and it seems to work quite well. By comparison when I've used straight alcohol it never seemed to work as well as the hand sanitizer. That makes me wonder if hand sanitizers generally contain a deodorizer which helps eliminate or mask the smell?
10 years ago
I'm not a chemist and wouldn't understand the why's, but the hand sanitizer I use is 62% ethyl alcohol vs. a 91% isopropyl alcohol that I could also use straight. The sanitizer also has glycerin and aloe in it to soften the rub. I just know it works. I purchase mine at my local Dollar Store and use it for a variety of things. It's easy on the skin. I'm glad it worked for you, Greysolon.
10 years ago
You need something that's oil based, as fragrance is also oil based. I remember an old thread on another forum about this subject that had some great solutions but I can't find it anymore.

Scrubbing just irritates the skin and won't really remove the scent.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Discussions How to remove perfume?
1 - 25 by 34
Jump to