Search Forum

Best Smoky Burning Wood Fireside Scents

1 - 25 by 28
Best Smoky Burning Wood Fireside Scents 11 years ago
I didn't see this in a previous topic, so let me ask...with Autumn on it's way, what are some of your favorite smoky burning wood/Maple leaves & fireside fragrances that are not incense and not cherry pipe tobacco and more importantly, don't make people smell like smoked sausages? My knowledge is limited in this category- the only one I've tried was CB I Hate Perfumes- Burning Leaves- which was very "Hickory Liquid Smoke Flavoring" related to my nose-all suggestions are welcome, of course!
11 years ago
I don't know what maple leaves smell like, but when you say maple, I think of the syrup and the warm sweet 'cosy' taste. I'm not a fan of sweet scents, but I did get the same warm and cosy vibe from the myrrh in Caron's Parfum Sacré. That one has bad longevity but myrrh is great! There's also Eau d'Italie Bois d'Ombrie if tobacco's still an option.
11 years ago
Sleuth:
I don't know what maple leaves smell like, but when you say maple, I think of the syrup and the warm sweet 'cosy' taste. I'm not a fan of sweet scents, but I did get the same warm and cosy vibe from the myrrh in Caron's Parfum Sacré. That one has bad longevity but myrrh is great! There's also Eau d'Italie Bois d'Ombrie if tobacco's still an option.

Thank you- Tobacco is always an option, I love it! But I have just spent the evening with Bois 1920 La Vaniglia and found that on my it is nothing but tobacco and vanilla- before it seemed richer and more spicy- so I am trying to find something to layer with it to ground it and make it more earthy... Myrrh has been problematic for me- I love it's smooth antiseptic quality but on my skin it turns very sweet and kind of sweaty...but I haven't really tried some of the greats like Annick Goutal, Guerlain, Serge Lutens and Keiko Mecheri's yet....So I am pretty much going off of just straight myrrhe resin oil, Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess and Rouge Hermes - as saying it's too pungent.

So, I have my cherry tobacco (and I'm not a big fan of patchouli) so I thought I'd try a firewood/ burnt leaf angle or perhaps a black coffee note...Ooohh- what I wouldn't give for a complete set of perfumer's blending notes to play with!
11 years ago
Sonoma Scent Studio, Fireside Intense.
11 years ago
SystemeD:
Sonoma Scent Studio, Fireside Intense.

So I have heard...it looks like this has been discontinued atleast it's not available on their website in the US any longer Sad
11 years ago
I really like the CB IHP Burning Leaves. There's a Demeter Bonfire that I also really like, but I think they're pretty close, so you might not like it.

Have you tried Profumum Roma Arso? I only have a little sample but I think it's quite nice.
11 years ago
PBullFriend:
I really like the CB IHP Burning Leaves. There's a Demeter Bonfire that I also really like, but I think they're pretty close, so you might not like it.

Have you tried Profumum Roma Arso? I only have a little sample but I think it's quite nice.

I think I should retry CBIHP Burning Leaves- have you tried 'Fire from Heaven'? Perhaps my impression was skewed because I had the whole line available at once for one day only and I wanted to try them all- I chose about 4 and 'Revelation' quickly blew my mind, so everything just dropped off my radar. I also couldn't find Bonfire anymore in the Demeter Scent Library...it's like the fragrance police can hear my thoughts!
Great suggestion on the Profumum Roma Arso! I had forgotten about that one. Thanks!
11 years ago
Flavorite: Yeah, I think Bonfire is out of the regular lineup. I bought my bottle on eBay. I can send you a decant of that & a small sample of Burning Leaves if you like. (I'd wait a couple of weeks until the weather cools down - it has been hitting the mid-90s here & I don't want your perfume fried before it reaches you.)

Nope, haven't tried "Fire from Heaven."

Whee! Fall is my favorite season & I always get a big mood boost when I see it's coming! Almost time for the smoky perfumes!!!!
11 years ago
PBullFriend:
Whee! Fall is my favorite season & I always get a big mood boost when I see it's coming! Almost time for the smoky perfumes!!!!

I agree completely. Fall is MY FAVORITE season, and when it comes, I feel more alive, more real, more of everything I want to be...

For smoky woods scents, you can't beat "Norne" or "Jeke" -- both by Slumberhouse.
11 years ago
Silverfire:
PBullFriend:

I agree completely. Fall is MY FAVORITE season, and when it comes, I feel more alive, more real, more of everything I want to be...

For smoky woods scents, you can't beat "Norne" or "Jeke" -- both by Slumberhouse.

Totally Agree!I love the cool chill in the air and some how, I can smell my fragrances more clearly at this time of year (probably the die back of the common airborne allergens). I love the smoke and the fire and the brilliant colors of foliage. But also the energy and the feeling of people...some people associate Spring with fresh starts and optimism...but I associate Autumn with New style fresh trends... that extends to my fragrance testing, I'm super excited right now to find out the next big trends in our fragrance world!
11 years ago
Neil Morris' "Afire" is pretty much burning wood with citrus fruits to me. But be careful , it can easily pinch you, but it's burning/crackling for sure Laughing
11 years ago
Let's not forget "#305 Burning Leaves" by CB I Hate Perfume.
11 years ago
Ok, some of these sound so wonderful! I must try them soon! Thanks for all the great input!
11 years ago
I could also suggest Arso

or
Cuir Celours,
maybe
08 Seylon, but this is more spicy (with a load of pepper)

or the best one, when it comes to quality materials, with real wood smoke:
Opus VII.
11 years ago
"Celtic Fire" by Union
11 years ago
I need to dig out my sample of Opus VII - there were so many things going on there, it didn't register as particularly smoky. Need to test it again.

On the other hand, there is a lot of smoke in "Interlude Man". The smokiness that doesn't bite and lasts literally for days if sprayed on a piece of paper.

Another vote for "#305 Burning Leaves".
11 years ago
"Burning Leaves"- I want to love this- but I feel that it makes me smell like bacon...not really a problem, but the dogs can be rather annoying, trying to nibble on me all night long and my husband is vegan. I'm not ready to give up on it quite yet...layering suggestions, Anyone?
11 years ago
Sorry, didn't read the original post carefully Confused I personally never get the "sausage" feel from the Burning Leaves, but the dogs must know better!

If you also don't want any kind of incense, that's a real tough one...Have you tried birch tar-based scents to see if they could fit the bill? "Eau du Fier" by Goutal maybe?
11 years ago
Epimedes:
Sorry, didn't read the original post carefully Confused I personally never get the "sausage" feel from the Burning Leaves, but the dogs must know better!

If you also don't want any kind of incense, that's a real tough one...Have you tried birch tar-based scents to see if they could fit the bill? "Eau du Fier" by Goutal maybe?

Actually, I am getting more keen on the idea of a mixture of smoky incense and smoky burnt wood together... I suspect the "sausage/bacon" issue has to do with the linear (albeit well done) smokehouse woodiness and my skin chemistry. Perhaps I need yo graduate to something as little more complex. I will check "Eau du Fier". Great suggestion, Thanks!
10 years ago
"Les Nombres d'Or - Vanille"

I get a huge bonfire experience from this one, though it does begin like an ashtray on me. (I don't smoke.) But of course you must also like vanilla quite a bit.
10 years ago
Have you sampled Tauer's "Lonestar Memories"? It's considered to be a 'leather' scent and I've not tried it personally, but I mention it because I've noticed that a number of reviewers refer to it as smelling much like a campfire or burnt out bushland.
10 years ago
These all sound so wonderful! Fall is my favorite time of year, also. I've never had a perfume like any of these mentioned. Can anyone suggest where I might order samples?
10 years ago
Nemat: Arabian Wood. (CPO) Inexpensive stuff.
10 years ago
Sorceress:
These all sound so wonderful! Fall is my favorite time of year, also. I've never had a perfume like any of these mentioned. Can anyone suggest where I might order samples?

Here you go.

www.tauerperfumes.com/
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
"Les Nombres d'Or - Vanille"

I get a huge bonfire experience from this one, though it does begin like an ashtray on me. (I don't smoke.) But of course you must also like vanilla quite a bit.

You know, this one is quite peculiar. My knees went weak went I smelled it first. I bought several samples of this and I was sure it would be wonderful. It was just perfect last November, but oddly enough, the one time I wore it out (just a single tiny dab on my wrist) I felt so overwhelmed and awkward (at a rock concert?). It made me very self conscious in such a closed space and I felt like I had lit up a cigar in an elevator or something...so I haven't been back into it in over a year. Yes, it does have a bit of that ashtray!
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Recommendations Best Smoky Burning Wood Fireside Scents
1 - 25 by 28
Jump to