Search Forum

11 Iconic Perfumes of the 80s

11 Iconic Perfumes of the 80s 10 years ago
www.mentalfloss.com/article/53918/11-iconic-pe rfumes-80s

Do you agree or disagree?

What else would you add to the list?
10 years ago
It's strange for me to see "Opium" (released in the late 70's) listed as an 80's perfume, though it does fit the style of that decade and was probably most popular then. I bought it and wore it when it was first released. I was in high school at the time and I'll always associate it with that period of the late seventies. The 80's for me were "post high school" and I feel quite a distinction between the two decades in terms of my lifestyle and fashion choices.
Again, "Brut" is definitely a 70's fragrance for me - so ubiquitous and the safe choice for male teens (no Axe body sprays back then!).

Cacharel's "Loulou" is a perfume I'll always associate with the 80's. Lots of girls wore it, way too much of it, and I thought it was vile at the time. I wonder what I'd make of it these days as I haven't smelled it since.
The others that immediately come to mind are "Ysatis" which my older sister wore, and "Paris" which was everywhere and on everyone but me.
EDIT: It's just occurred to me that I didn't wear any 80's fragrances in the 80's. How strange. I only wore Fidji, Calandre and Joy. All three were discontinued by the end of the decade and I spent the 90's unsuccessfully trying to find scents to replace them...
10 years ago
Yess! I was 2 when "LouLou" was launched and I remember my favourite aunt wearing it at the turn of the 80s and 90s. It was one of the first perfumes I got for myself (a mini) this autumn. Smile The fragrance doesn't make it onto my top lists but it is memorable, in both good and bad.
10 years ago
I was surprised with Opium and Brut as well and thought it was a mistake. But I guess both picked up steam in the 80s.
10 years ago
Some of these surprised me. Jovan's Musk I would swear was earlier than the '80's, but I guess not. I don't think Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth bears iconic status at all. Love's Baby Soft has stood the test of time, so I'll agree with that one. Drakkar Noir has always been a favorite of mine and always will be.
I'll add to the list Paloma Picasso, Niki de Saint Phalle, Coco and Samsara. Now those are truly iconic perfumes.
10 years ago
Sorceress:
I'll add to the list Paloma Picasso, Niki de Saint Phalle, Coco and Samsara. Now those are truly iconic perfumes.

I'd have to second those, though I admit to never having heard of Nicki de Saint Phalle until I started visiting perfume sites such as this one.
When I recently purchased Paloma Picasso, the young sales girl observed that it was very popular amongst..ahem...more mature women (meaning old bags like me..)
And Electric Youth?!! Come on, really? I vaguely remember the song (cringe worthy even back then) but there's a perfume? And it's 'iconic'? Me thinks not. How many blogs and forum discussions have we seen on that one?
10 years ago
As a European I was/am not that acquainted with (all) US (teenage) fragrances, but I definitely remember Opium. I bought a bottle of Poison at a big department store off the Champs Elysées in Paris when it came out. I did not know Giorgio, Baby Soft or any of the imposters then.

I would like to add Loulou by Cacharel, another big white floral - it just seemed to fit our lifestyle then (still love it now). At that time I went through several bottles of Woman III by Jil Sander, another love. This has been taken from the market to be re-released (50ml bottle for the price of the former 100ml...the original goes for ridiculous prices on ebay). Otherwise I remember Ferré (original) and Byblos, both much more sweeter.
10 years ago
Designer Imposters and Electric Youth are questionable additions.
10 years ago
AmySourbutts:
+1, big time.

"Coco" and "Egoiste" by Chanel, "Fahrenheit" by Dior, "Cool Water" by Davidoff, "Paris" and "Kouros" by Yves Saint Laurent, to name but a few on top of what's already been mentioned, would have been far more suitable additions to the list than those two obscure nonentities above.
10 years ago
I'm thinking Design Imposters were mentioned because they were the first to market an actual imposter, a fake if you will, that consumers could purchase. It was a new concept where consumers could purchase a dupe out in the open legally.
10 years ago
Dolby:
AmySourbutts:
+1, big time.

"Coco" and "Egoiste" by Chanel, "Fahrenheit" by Dior, "Cool Water" by Davidoff, "Paris" and "Kouros" by Yves Saint Laurent, to name but a few on top of what's already been mentioned, would have been far more suitable additions to the list than those two obscure nonentities above.

+2
10 years ago
For me personally EL 'Beautiful' is the 80s. Did Vanderbilt come out in the 70s or the 80s?
10 years ago
80's I believe.
10 years ago
KL was one I loved, and wore a lot of in the 80's...KL, Karl Lagerfield. It wasn't over the top expensive...but now, OMG..it costs an absolute fortune! Shocked I wish I had stored a bottle of this beauty away. I wore Opium for years, as well.
10 years ago
Dalmajen, my best friend's mother loved KL dearly. She had said how she wanted another bottle but it was impossible to find. At the time, I had no idea and volunteered to look for her. Then I went on eBay and saw the prices. The price people have to pay to relive a part of the past is craaaazy.
10 years ago
Sorceress:
Some of these surprised me. Jovan's Musk I would swear was earlier than the '80's, but I guess not. I don't think Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth bears iconic status at all. Love's Baby Soft has stood the test of time, so I'll agree with that one. Drakkar Noir has always been a favorite of mine and always will be.

Houbigant musk was around in the late sixties, early seventies. Jovan's white musk became popular then. We all wore it at some stage
10 years ago
Omni:
Jovan's white musk became popular then. We all wore it at some stage

Jovan is one of my favorite fragrance memories from my teens. The cool, hip girls wore Jovan, the nice girls wore Wind Song. Both perfumes still make me break out in a sweat Very Happy
10 years ago
i agree with those are wonderful perfumes at 80's
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands 11 Iconic Perfumes of the 80s
Jump to