Search Forum

Do perfumistas fuel a renaissance in high-end perfumery?

Do perfumistas fuel a renaissance in high-end perfumery? 10 years ago
Meet the perfumistas: For a growing band of fashion fanatics the new lust-haves are obscure and extortionately priced perfumes.
An article at the DailyMail Online, published in 2008, but still an interesting read.

Any thoughts?
10 years ago
Interesting read. In 2008 they mention Basenotes. Meanwhile Basenotes has grown and meanwhile Parfumo was born.

Yes, we perfumistas have our own lingo. Whether the industry spies really read? That is still a mystery to me.
Sniffapalooza get-togethers are mentioned. They still take place yearly in New York City. The place to go to on Saturday is uptown, mainly Bergdorf Goodman and Sunday, downtown SOHO small specialty boutiques.

Long live the perfumistas !!!
10 years ago
Thank you - what a good article!
10 years ago
What a great article! Boy, did it make me smile...reading it was like having someone describe yourself.
So we are the "new" snobs in town then?
6 years ago
Apparently we are, Sorceress. Wink

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing, PontNeuf!

My thoughts? Chicken-and-egg.
The rise of the scent snob is explicitly attributed to mass-market blandness. And I agree, the more pointless iteration of mediocrity is being churned out, the more we turn to niche to still find anything beautiful and original. Reacting to the increasingly measly choice mainstream has to offer does not constitute a cause, or does it? Somewhat sneering to equate this with snobbery; but that's beside the point.

I'd argue it is mainstream's own doing that lies at the root of the stated double-digit growth rates of the niche market. And the likes of L'Oréal, LVMH, etc. seem to have found an answer to it: get a new cash cow by acquiring excellent niche houses and release more trivia but with a hefty price tag.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Do perfumistas fuel a renaissance in high-end perfumery?
Jump to