Search Forum

Perfumes Left Behind Or Not?

Perfumes Left Behind Or Not? 10 years ago
Imagine this. You're faced with a situation. You must walk away from your perfumes. (The reasons could be many.) There is very little time. You are actually walking away from your life, your home. You are never returning. You cannot pack suitcases, boxes, etc., but you do have a large pocketbook, and a bag you usually carry. Of course, you have pockets. Granted, perfumes are not the first thing you might take, and I won't get into detail, of course, but that's not part of the question, it's the point of this post. You do have the option of taking perfume with you. After all, some may be valuable, whether in dollars or sentiment.
So, do you pocket any and what ones do you take? Would you think to take any?
10 years ago
I took two perfumes with me. My beloved Shalimar that was a vintage and I had one bottle left of The Body Shop's Vanilla Oil that my children had bought me and was no longer replaceable. I still have those two bottles with me to this day. Although perfume is a commodity, certain bottles have special meaning to me.
10 years ago
So, this question is actually based on an experience you had? I'm guessing your house was on fire? If you prefer not to explain, I'll understand, but before I start answering your hypothetical question, I'd like to know if condolences are in order. Losing one's home is a traumatic, heart-breaking thing.
10 years ago
I would pick the ones I was actually using (2 bottles at most) + 3 more for rotation (season/occasion) if at all I could. Some treasured minis. I would want to have the comfort of perfume if I was ever faced with such an extreme situation for any reason.

Lmao I shouldn't think abt eventualities like this, it's not good for my fragile psychological balance Very Happy
10 years ago
Thinking like this would mean, prepare a little emergency box NOW and include one perfume. Some money, some photos, some jewelry.

What, oh what to take?
10 years ago
Well, I guess if the pets and the family momentos were already secured in the car and I had the opportunity to grab some perfume, I would take the ones I love that are irreplaceable because they're discontinued. A couple that come to mind are:

"Samsara" vintage

"Dior Addict (2002)"
10 years ago
Sad to say, I probably wouldn't think of taking any. I'd probably be on the run from the NSA or something equally crazy and perfumes would be the last thing on my mind.
10 years ago
I could not do. I just could not. Honestly.

There are so many "earthly" things my heart clings to (my small but very much loved collection of antique artefacts, my perfumes, my jewelry etc.)
I dare say only death will take away those things from me.....I have spent so much time, money and effort to gather those items it would be a damned shame to just leave them.
10 years ago
Some of my vintages...and..my Miss Dior the classic one the one released in 1947.Also my Black Orchid, Cabotine De Gres and my Lady Million I know it's a popular perfume but they gifted to me just yesterday and it makes me happy!!
But otherwise I don't want to think of this situation at all.
10 years ago
Sorry my perfumes would be low on my list of what to grab also.. Family, pets, photos and some past down jewelry would be my priority. I would probably throw in a couple random bottles that were handy but I wouldnt go and get any specific ones.
10 years ago
@Dulcemio: Thank you. But I didn't pose the question for condolences. This is not the forum for such a thing. I posted it for thought.
Of course, other possessions come to mind, such as photos, antiques, etc., but this is a perfume site. As some of us have acquired rather costly collections, or collections that have sentimental value, it is important to think of them too. Or, at least, a few of the bottles in the collections that mean the most to us for whatever reason.
Since this did happen to me, I simply wanted others to reflect on what they've acquired. Most perfumes can be replaced, but not all. And sometimes, one that has special meaning can never be replaced at all. Those two little bottles that I pocketed quickly may mean absolutely nothing to someone else, but while I was re-building from ground zero with almost nothing at all gave me strength to go on. When I felt the world was all dark, I could close my eyes for a few moments, open the stoppers, take a whiff and escape. And then go on.
Truly amazing what perfume can do.
10 years ago
In his excellent blog 'from Pyrgos', Bryan Ross recounts his experience of moving to another country and having to decide, through necessity, which perfumes to take with him from his collection - he could only accomodate about six or seven.
His final choices really surprised him. They were not necessarily his most prized, rarest, most valuable or most unique fragrances at all. He realised that with such a small selection, each fragrance would have to earn it's place. There was no room for his cumbersome Luten's bell jars (too tricky to transport) and those extra special, occasional or season-specific fragrances didn't make the cut due to their limited versatility.
He ended up selecting for wearability (in a different climate to his present one), versatility and occasion appropriateness, whilst giving consideration to having a collection in which each fragrance was unique enough to not seem redundant alongside his other choices.
I have often considered which six or so fragrances I would keep were I in the same situation. The first couple would be easy, the rest I'm not so sure about!
10 years ago
I don't think I could leave my perfume behind. I'm not being realistic of course.
10 years ago
I remember when a huge tree fell on the house and plaster was raining down all over. I thought the whole thing would collapse on my head. I grabbed the dogs and ran out of the house in bare feet.
10 years ago
Brrr, this scenario reminds me of war stories.

My mother was in that situation on the day of her 12th birthday. The family was living in Lower Silesia which today is a part of Poland. When the Russian front came nearer, nobody was allowed to move away and people who tried risked getting shot. Old men and children were supposed to join the "Volkssturm" in order to stop the frontline. Only after the local nazis had fled was it possible to leave. That must have been chaotic. When the family finally dared to flee in the last minute, the sky was red and they could already hear the thunder from the frontline. Of course, nobody thought about perfume then.
10 years ago
Sometimes it is, Apicius. Sometime it is.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Perfumes Left Behind Or Not?
Jump to