Search Forum

EU amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

76 - 84 by 84
9 years ago
So now it's vetiver. Well, we knew it wouldn't stop at oakmoss.

Pipette, please tell the German crew that I'm available in the event that they decide to take action and are in need of English language assistance. As far as the oakmoss ban is concerned, I haven't heard any news and I have an alert for "Regulation EC No 1223/2009 on Cosmetic Products," so I assume that nothing has been finalized as yet.
9 years ago
Thank you, Cryptic Smile
9 years ago
For comments on the "Opinion" about Vetyverylacetat, the SCCS has set a deadline: May 19th

ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/cons umer_safety/opinions/index_en.htm
9 years ago
Apicius, if Dr. Pablo or one of the others can provide some scientific research against the proposed action, I'll be happy to assist in framing the argument.
Current article over at Basenotes 9 years ago
This may be worth reading.

www.basenotes.net/features/3158-what-is-really -going-on-with-eu-fragrance-regulations

As far as I am concerned, I have given up on the matter.

Just spraying on something from my small collection and enjoying the day, and life.
9 years ago
Thanks for the link and for all your assistance with the petition, Pipette. I can't say enough good things about the classy people over at Basenotes who promoted the Parfumo effort despite the fact that this is a competing website in many respects.
9 years ago
Like.
9 years ago
The article has this subhead: "What would it take for us to live in a completely risk-free society?" My reply? Impossible. All of us are going to die! While we're still breathing, let us have our oakmoss! Sheesh.
6 years ago
Most of us knew it was coming and dreaded it .. and I do so hate to be the bearer of bad news. I'm afraid the European Commission finally took the gloves off and enacted its amendment to sharpen EU restrictions on fragrance allergens. Sad

On August 2017, the EC published two new regulations, Commission Regulation 2017/1410 and Commission Regulation 2017/1413. Both are aimed at revising Regulation 1223/2009, which is the framework EU law on the safety of cosmetic products (including perfume).

Pursuant to Regulation 2017/1410, the following substances will have to be phased out entirely in cosmetics including fragrances, placed on the EU market:
- Lyral [3- and 4-(4-Hydroxy-4-methylpentyl) cyclohex-3-ene-1-carbaldehyde (HICC)];
- Oakmoss [2,6-Dihydroxy-4-methyl-benzaldehyde (atranol)]; and
- Treemoss [3-Chloro-2,6-Dihydroxy-4-methyl-benzaldehyde (chloroatranol)].

Timeline for compliance with the prohibition of these three allergens:
- From August 23, 2019, only cosmetic products which comply with the Regulation shall be placed on the Union market.
- From August 23, 2021, only cosmetic products which comply with the Regulation shall be made available on the Union market.

Further reading:
- Synopsis on the EU's regulation on fragrance allergens: The end of perfumery as we know it?
- Mark Behnke's Editorial on the regulation's (un)scientific basis: 90 days til the end of perfume
- Kafkaesque's features on perfume regulation
- IFRA's position and involvement via the IDEA

Source:
Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/1410 of August 2, 2017 amending Annexes II and III to Regulation (EC) 1223/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council on cosmetic products
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands EU amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens
76 - 84 by 84
Jump to