Search Forum

Joy and Eau de Joy

Joy and Eau de Joy 10 years ago
Does anyone know whether Joy and Eau de Joy are meant to be the same fragrance, except one is a perfume and the other a cologne?
10 years ago
Reportedly Luca Turin claims that Eau de Joy is the vintage equivalent of Joy EDT (or EdP?). I only know the vintage extrait but was told that EdJ is similar in notes and behaviour, just less smooth and rich. Hope that helps.
10 years ago
Scentfan, the online information gets a bit confusing about these two; however, Mia is right - the difference lies in the formulas and date/place of manufacture, not the perfume strength. Eau de Joy is not a cologne version of Joy - I own both fragrances and they are both EDPs.

My Joy EDP is the latest iteration in the square glass flacon with clear cap, made in the UK by Procter and Gamble Prestige. I used to wear the extrait back in the late eighties but have none of the vintage to compare with this current version; however, I agree with Turin and think it smells faithful to the original, a luscious elixir of high quality rose and jasmine. The base is lacking, though.

My "Eau de Joy" EDP is in a round black bottle with red cap and made in France. I bought it from an online perfumery this year but the abbreviated ingredient list and bar coded box suggest it is pre 2005 but post 1990.
Compared to the Joy EDP, it is a little more mellow on opening - less green, bright and jasmine-y up top. Around the 20 minute mark, they smell almost the same to me. The biggest difference is in the base. Eau de Joy lasts longer and seems to develop the sandalwood dominant dry down that recalls the original Joy (I'm not one of those civet-sensitive wearers so I can't rate any cat-pee element which has never been apparent to me in any version).
I like both versions. The Eau de Joy has better development and lasting power but I do like the opening and heart of the current Joy. If you like one, you'll like the other but I'm stocking up on EdJ while there's still stock around.
10 years ago
Thanks, Mia and Triffid. I've never been able to wear the original Joy, but just got a bottle of Eau de Joy and love it. The sandalwood is indeed quite strong and whatever made me sneeze my head off in Joy 1 isn't there. The aldehydes I think. Keep meaning to get Turin's book. Just have the small version.
10 years ago
Thanks for asking the question, I was also a bit puzzled.
Notify about new comments
Jump to