Search Forum

Spring is in the air!

1 - 25 by 39
Spring is in the air! 12 years ago
Today was the first warm day in Germany this year, so it is high time for a „What's your favourite spring perfume“ thread. (Sorry to those of you who have no spring at the moment).

My favourite spring perfume this year will be "Knize Two", the little brother of the famous Knize Ten. It is a bit underestimated, but it is very, very good. It is a light scent, it is elegant, complex and classy.

What makes it a spring perfume is that it reminds me a lot of woodruff. Maybe that comes from a decent portion of coumarin which can also be found in that spring forest herb. Knize Two does not exactly smell like woodruff, but I think it is probably the closest one can come to woodruff in a perfume.

Woodruff is magic and hardly describable to those who do not know it. It is green, herbal, and in a strange way ethereal and medicinal. It is a delicious fresh scent and taste. In Germany, you can get it in May. You drown a little bunch of it in wine and sparkling wine for the famous Maibowle (woodruff punch). Also, you can put a small bunch of it into your wardrobe – like lavender. It will keep the moths out of your clothes. For the same reason, it is not advisable to get drunk on Maibowle!

Woodruff is not a healthy thing. Industrial use of it is prohibited, and every green woodruff syrup or drink you can buy is exclusively with artificial aroma.

So, what is your favourite spring perfume this year – and why?
12 years ago
Thanks, Apicius. I always love to hear more about the plants and animals of different countries. I wondered about woodruff!

Do German women still like to commemorate spring by wearing lily of the valley fragrances, or is that an older thing? My mom, a German immigrant, liked to have a splash of Coty Muguet des Bois in the spring. (But if she were alive, she would be in her mid-80s.)

We're having an odd week of summery weather here - significantly above normal temps (the daily high right now should be maybe 8 degrees C, and instead, today, it's about 25!) I haven't done my clothing & perfume wardrobe changeover yet, but I keep my Clarins Eau Dynamisante out all year & have been wearing it more lately. My lychee scents (Demeter Lychee and TokyoMilk Kabuki) are also calling out to be worn... Smile
12 years ago
PBullFriend:
Do German women still like to commemorate spring by wearing lily of the valley fragrances, or is that an older thing? My mom, a German immigrant, liked to have a splash of Coty Muguet des Bois in the spring. (But if she were alive, she would be in her mid-80s.
No, there is no fashion in Germany to wear lily of the valley perfumes in spring. I think this note is not especially popular. Generally, many women here dislike the great floral perfumes of the past - fragrances that your grandmother or mother would wear. There has even been a new derogative word invented to describe those kind of perfumes: "madamig" ("madam-ey").

Lily of the valley is for enthusiasts. So, get a ticket to Paris, be there on April 30th, go to Guerlain at the Champs-Eysees and queue for "Muguet" which they sell exclusively on that day! (Not in every year)

Coriolon has it, and I had the opportunity for a short test. It is a fully develloped, very respectable, opulent fragrance and not as light as one might expect from a spring scent.
12 years ago
Sounds like a great excuse for a trip to Paris, Apicius! I learn so much from you. Very Happy
12 years ago
In the spring, I love fresh, natural rain-washed purple flowers such as are showcased in

"Violettes de Toulouse"

"Violetta di Parma"

and

"Après l'Ondée
Also Prada "Infusion d'Iris"

and

Prada "Infusion d'Homme"

but I wear those two all year round!
Cool
Cool
12 years ago
Original Version of Diorissmo E.D.T
I Love the Mixure of Rain Soaked Lillies
A Bit of Fruit and Civet

Jesus del Pozo Duende
Crisp and fresh Greens
12 years ago
Lola82:
Original Version of Diorissmo E.D.T
I Love the Mixure of Rain Soaked Lillies
A Bit of Fruit and Civet

Jesus del Pozo Duende
Crisp and fresh Greens

I agree that "Diorissimo" is a great choice!

I also used to like to wear Ralph Lauren "Blue" in the spring, but my bottle ran out and I have not acquired another...
Rolling Eyes
12 years ago
The weather here in Chicago has been so unbelievably beautiful that I haven't had time to post anything on Parfumo. I've been too busy putting all my favorite spring fragrances to work.
12 years ago
Flaconneur:
The weather here in Chicago has been so unbelievably beautiful that I haven't had time to post anything on Parfumo. I've been too busy putting all my favorite spring fragrances to work.

Hasn't the weather been amazing this year? We usually never have spring in Boston, but today it was 70F + !!! The winter was basically MIA...

Cool
12 years ago
I like in this spring time Allure Eau de Toilette, floral, powdery, but not overpowering.. just perfect in this weather
12 years ago
Although it is getting warmer and warmer, but I still stick to some of my winter frags knowing that soon I won't be able to wear them anymore.

I think from my collection
"Chamade Homme"
"Sel de Vétiver"
"Déclaration"
"Kelly Calèche"
"No. 19"
"l'instant de Guerlain"
etc.

will make excellent spring fumes.
12 years ago
Yesterday was so warm and springlike that I threw a gardenia party:

Marc Jacobs Gardenia (splash)
Marc Jacobs Marc Jacobs
Annick Goutal "Gardenia Passion"

Yes, I do find gardenias springlike!

Cool
12 years ago
In spring I often wear Prada Amber Pour Homme and Prada Infusion d'Homme, but I think it's time for something new.
I'm thinking about Chanel Pour Monsieur or maybe Chanel Allure Edition Blanche...
12 years ago
Lucasai:
In spring I often wear Prada Amber Pour Homme and Prada Infusion d'Homme, but I think it's time for something new.
I'm thinking about Chanel Pour Monsieur or maybe Chanel Allure Edition Blanche...
Hm, Chanel pour Monsieur is a rather dark Chypre, a great fragrance. Personally, I would not regard it as a spring perfume. The fresh cithric appeal is only head note. It fades away and is followed by a rather deep and dark chypre base note. Good for evening wear.

If you like the Pradas and are looking for a change, may I recommend Eau d'Ikar by Sisley?
12 years ago
Apicius:
If you like the Pradas and are looking for a change, may I recommend Eau d'Ikar by Sisley?

I've already tested Eau d'Ikar but it was a big NO from me, I didn't like any single second of it.
10 years ago
It's time for this thread again Smile Spring perfumes!

Personally I'm searching for a citrus fragrance. Looking forward to it.

What spring perfumes will you wear or buy?
10 years ago
Oh yes, we're feeling it even up above the polar circle! I went through a nasty flu and doused up on "Moschino Funny!" as part of my get-well regimen. I am definitely craving lighter and subtler fragrances now that the temperatures are above zero again (unusually soon, but still), even though heavier perfumes like "La petite Robe noire Couture" are still a big hit with me. I have enjoyed Beyoncé "Rise", but while it is a bright and happy scent, it is not memorable and doesn't pack enough punch for me. I have not yet found my ideal spring fragrance, so I'm definitely using this thread for ideas!
10 years ago
I'm glad you're feeling better after the flu.

I wonder if I should try CK "Eternity for men" again. I always thought it was a happy (spring like?) fragrance.
10 years ago
I don't think it counts as spring-like, but then the weather isn't either: I'm planning a tuberose binge later in the week.
10 years ago
Funny to hear you ask about spring fragrances, Apicius. Where I live it's still cold. As a matter of fact, I went on a photo shoot today on a lake that was still frozen over, shooting pics of the snow covered marshes, walking in foot deep snow trenches. I deliberately chose two of my heaviest perfumes to wear for the chilly weather!
But I did come home and spritz myself with
"Sensuous Nude" for a breath of summer...

I really want to enjoy my winter fragrances before spring kicks in tho.
10 years ago
Where I live, winter has yet to release his fangs from our hide. When spring finally arrives it may smell like a bonfire of winter clothes. But I digress. Lily of the Valley, hyacinth, lilac and cut grass are some notes I adore for spring. That translates to Carillon pour un ange, Bluebell, Lauren and Vie de Chateau, to name a few.
10 years ago
One of my absolute favorites is perfect for spring, my beloved "Un Jardin Sur Le Toit"
10 years ago
When springtime arrives I very much enjoy a few scents more on the light side Smile
Such as :
Habit Rouge (so citrussy in the beginning, to me a very light perfume)
Un jardin sur le Nil (have loved it for years, despite my chypre-oriental soul)
Cristalle Eau Verte (another citrus scent)
Azuree (a scent cannot get any sunnier, IMHO)
Private Collection (a classic, comforting and elegant)
Herba Fresca (fresh, sparkling, upbeat)
Voyage d´Hermes (motivating and unobtrusive, I very much prefer it when travelling by train or plane)
Yerbamate (the fluffiest almost-masculine green powder scent I have ever known) Smile

Not sure yet if Ninfeo Mio is OK for me (the fig dangerously resembles a very sweaty armpit note on my skin)....
10 years ago
Sherapop:
Yesterday was so warm and springlike that I threw a gardenia party:

Marc Jacobs Gardenia (splash)
Marc Jacobs Marc Jacobs
Annick Goutal "Gardenia Passion"

Yes, I do find gardenias springlike!

Cool
Autumn here Sherapop but plenty of lovely days left to enjoy Songes, AG Passion and Cristalle
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Spring is in the air!
1 - 25 by 39
Jump to