Coffee12
Coffee12
6 Posts
Coffee12Coffee12 incense 02.01.2015, 02:10
I am thinking about buying Sahara Noir. Do you think that incense fragrances draw compliments from the opposite sex? Or is i it more of a personal scent?

MRoth
MRoth
353 Posts
MRothMRoth 02.01.2015, 04:39
Sahara Noir is a perfume I wear for myself. It's not really a compliment getter in my experience, but it is a powerful scent, a scent I would wear storming into battle.

Sleuth
Sleuth
500 Posts
SleuthSleuth 02.01.2015, 13:08
I believe large amounts of incense get you few compliments, I never got any compliments when I wore Comme des Garçons 2 Man. I think the reason is that incense is mostly fresh, smokey or sharp and not pleasing in itself.

But fortunately it looks like Sahara Noir also has plenty of soft cosey ingredients like benzoin, sweet notes and ambre(inol). If I were you I would judge the fragrance on those notes. How pleasing does it smell compared to Extreme or Black Orchid or Armani Privé - Myrrhe Impériale

Pipette
Pipette
2182 Posts
PipettePipette 02.01.2015, 15:16
Off topic -

It is strange that some perfumes are "interesting", and the wearer wears them but does not get any compliments.

IMHO, compliments are most often given for comfort perfumes which contain vanilla or seem cozy.

Name a few examples of "interesting" perfumes when you got compliments.

Epimedes
Epimedes
99 Posts
EpimedesEpimedes 03.01.2015, 00:28
I actually got complimented a few times when I was wearing scents that had a definite smoky element in them. Such as Interlude Man, CBIHB "Burning Leaves", Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette), to give a few examples. Never for 'straight' incense. It's strange though that CdG 2 Man drew a very negative reaction from people around me. Can't explain it, but I didn't particularly care for that one either, so I happily gave it away.

Coffee12
Coffee12
6 Posts
Coffee12Coffee12 03.01.2015, 02:01
I'm thinking a sample is in order.

Cryptic
Cryptic
2425 Posts
CrypticCryptic 03.01.2015, 03:07
Epimedes wrote:
I actually got complimented a few times when I was wearing scents that had a definite smoky element in them. Such as Interlude Man, CBIHB "Burning Leaves", Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette), to give a few examples. Never for 'straight' incense. It's strange though that CdG 2 Man drew a very negative reaction from people around me. Can't explain it, but I didn't particularly care for that one either, so I happily gave it away.

My experience has been similar. The Amouage line with its frankincense garners compliments, probably because the smokiness is heavy but balanced. On the other hand, I wore Serge Noire at work just once and was told I smelled like something burning -- a crematorium, to be specific. It seems like people who aren't particularly cosmopolitan about perfume find the smell of incense disconcerting out of the context of church, at least when it's front and center in a fragrance. I still enjoy Serge Noire but I don't wear it to work lest I be thought of as a secret pyromaniac.

Epimedes
Epimedes
99 Posts
EpimedesEpimedes 04.01.2015, 12:10
Cryptic wrote:
I don't wear it to work lest I be thought of as a secret pyromaniac.

So very true, I don't think that many people identify the more insencey stuff that I wear as a fragrance. I was told once, is something burning in your car?

GMK
GMK
3 Posts
GMKGMK 27.10.2015, 21:34
never got a compliment from SN, there are way more better choices u can try , like, LADDM , JXXV, Epic Man , Avignon etc.

Asg451
Asg451
3 Posts
Asg451Asg451 16.04.2016, 01:45
If you like it enough, wear it.

Compliments depend on many other factors than the scent itself, and should be an afterthought.

Page 1 of 1