Search Forum

What perfume would suit these guys?

What perfume would suit these guys? 8 years ago
Johann Sebastian Bach

Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy

Heinrich Heine
8 years ago
Fun question. For Heine, the quintessential German poet, I'd pick the iconic Echt Kölnisch Wasser.

A Midsummer Night's Dream is the first thing that comes to mind for Mendelssohn, so something romantic but not too serious. One of the Lolita Lempickas might fit. Maybe Au Masculin.

I'd give Bach Jubilation XXV because the overall fragrance is complex enough to qualify as baroque and Amouage's trademark frankincense suits his sacred music. Plus, he must have had close to XXV children Shocked and he was happy and well-adjusted compared to most of the other great ones.
8 years ago
Cryptic:
Fun question. For Heine, the quintessential German poet, I'd pick the iconic Echt Kölnisch Wasser.

A Midsummer Night's Dream is the first thing that comes to mind for Mendelssohn, so something romantic but not too serious. One of the Lolita Lempickas might fit. Maybe Au Masculin.

I'd give Bach Jubilation XXV because the overall fragrance is complex enough to qualify as baroque and Amouage's trademark frankincense suits his sacred music. Plus, he must have had close to XXV children Shocked and he was happy and well-adjusted compared to most of the other great ones.

Thanks for the reply Cryptic. At least for Mendelssohn it must be true, because look what MasterLi wrote about Au Masculin: "One of the most interesting perfumes I've come across. This is like walking through a fairy tale storybook. Think Hansel & Gretel, think a Midsummer Night's Dream, think Peter Pan, even Tim Burton."
8 years ago
Hi Amit, I think Cryptic is spot on with Heine.

When it comes to Mendelssohn's music I've always gravitated to his early works which, of course, means Midsummer's Night Dream as well as the string symphonies and chamber music. For a perfume to represent that period of his life it has to be open and crystalline, with a touch of florals and a base note that doesn't bog down the effervescence of the fragrance: "Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Toilette)" by Annick Goutal.

As Crytic said, Bach is difficult and she probably has the best choice with Amouage. Bach's musical counterpoint can be incredibly complex yet all the voices can be clearly heard. The same is true with the emotional counterpoint. His music is human/heavenly, joyous/contemplative, earthly/noble. Then there's all those dang kids! I mean, for a man of the 18th century he must have smelled OK to have basically worn out two wives! Shocked When it comes to a tour de force of counterpoint in a fragrance my pick would be "34 Boulevard Saint Germain" by Diptyque
8 years ago
Greysolon:
Hi Amit, I think Cryptic is spot on with Heine.

When it comes to Mendelssohn's music I've always gravitated to his early works which, of course, means Midsummer's Night Dream as well as the string symphonies and chamber music. For a perfume to represent that period of his life it has to be open and crystalline, with a touch of florals and a base note that doesn't bog down the effervescence of the fragrance: "Eau d'Hadrien (Eau de Toilette)" by Annick Goutal.

As Crytic said, Bach is difficult and she probably has the best choice with Amouage. Bach's musical counterpoint can be incredibly complex yet all the voices can be clearly heard. The same is true with the emotional counterpoint. His music is human/heavenly, joyous/contemplative, earthly/noble. Then there's all those dang kids! I mean, for a man of the 18th century he must have smelled OK to have basically worn out two wives! Shocked When it comes to a tour de force of counterpoint in a fragrance my pick would be "34 Boulevard Saint Germain" by Diptyque

Thanks! The word crystalline does well describe Mendelssohn's early works. For me, Mendelssohn represents the one unique middle link between Classicism and Romanticism in Western Classical music. I'd describe his music as sparkling. It can get sometimes a bit sentimental, but usually with child-like naivety (in the good sense), clarity and brightness. Can be energetic, but never heavy muscular. His religious music reveals a beautifully devoted noble soul.
8 years ago

Thanks for the reply Cryptic. At least for Mendelssohn it must be true, because look what MasterLi wrote about Au Masculin: "One of the most interesting perfumes I've come across. This is like walking through a fairy tale storybook. Think Hansel & Gretel, think a Midsummer Night's Dream, think Peter Pan, even Tim Burton.:558e71d507]

What a great review. I especially enjoy the ones that explore how perfume is informed by culture and relate fragrance to other subjects.

I actually thought about the AG line for Mendelssohn, Grey; Hadrien and Eau du Sud in particular.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community What perfume would suit these guys?
Jump to