Search Forum

NPR article: Smell as old as time

NPR article: Smell as old as time 7 years ago
I don't have a "bucket list" but some day I'd love to visit Paris' Musée du Parfum. Until then maybe a whiff of 250 year old rum (mentioned in the article below) will have to do. Also mentioned is the oft cited reason for perfume's use in the past: the lack of human hygiene. Perhaps the smell of a mug caked with dried rum or the odor of human funk is preferable to Pinaud Bay Rum which you can buy in a one quart plastic jug. Razz

I've included the link if you want to listen to this NPR segment.

Smell As Old As Time
Museum's 1770s Artifact Smells Of Rum

"People read about history, watch films about history, see it unfold before them, but how often do they get to smell history? Well, when Philadelphia's Museum of the American Revolution opens next year, visitors will have their chance. As Morning Edition host Steve Inskeep said on Wednesday, the contents of the museum include an earthenware mug from the 1770s — which still smells of rum poured by some Revolution-era drinker. Thankfully, other smells from centuries ago have not transcended time. A book on the country's early years says before running water, even the most fastidious people bathed only once a week. Some bathed once a year, whether they needed it or not. Funky — and not the good kind."
7 years ago
Thanks for the link. I wonder if the 250yr old rum smells the same as rum today?
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands NPR article: Smell as old as time
Jump to