Search Forum

Difference in the English and German version

Difference in the English and German version 7 years ago
Why is there such a huge difference between the German and English community here in Parfumo ?
The German community is much more active in several ways. Like giving awards to pictures ( mostly of German members), the same with reviews and statements.
Also with posting on others wall, only a few members from the English community do post on others wall, which is so much fun to read. I have to admit that I only post on others wall after a positive deal.
Any ideas, suggestions ?
7 years ago
I see three factors:
1. Local geographical community: Members in Germany actually meet up because it's easy. That both creates and strengthens social bonds.
2. Same country shipments: German members trade a lot because shipping is cheap within Germany. If you look internationally, that's possibly more expensive and therefore requires more effort. Same for the passaround packages that I love. Country filter could help.
3. Strong forum individuals: 20 active members can create 80% of the forum buzz. But you need the active mass once, otherwise it won't carry on.
7 years ago
Thanks for your reply @Fluxit,
You are so right, I wasn't thinking/aware of these 3 facts.
Fact 3 is usually the main factor a community or forum can exist.
7 years ago
Restricted to German, for whatever reason, Parfumo simply offers the nicest place around. Drew many a fragrance lover that stayed, I'd argue.
For the English-speaking afficionados, Parfumo has been somewhat late to the party, I suppose. Some do not know of it and for others the nicer place may not be here.
Little traffic indeed 7 years ago
Rolling Eyes I like the setup here but the forum is "crickets" Confused
7 years ago
Thanks @MiaTrost and @Hitchslap for your replies.

I wish that Parfumo would break down 'the wall', by not have to log in on the German version, the English version and the Dutch Version when you want to read something or post. By going to a button on the top ( like other social media like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. and many webpages/stores have) and click the language you prefer. This way you can read all from all versions, post the same way so all members can read it ( statements, reviews) on just one single account. But that probably cost a fortune and considering the whole community is depending on volunteers. Which I'm very grateful for.
Although my German speaking and reading is good, writing is a bit difficult because I didn't do it for a long time. And most non-German members can't even too. There's so much more going on on Parfumo ( on the German community) and personally I think it would be great to share it international.

I wish you all a great smelling weekend !
7 years ago
Hitchslap:
I like the setup here but the forum is "crickets" Confused
Any idea as to why that is?

Parfummaniac:
I wish that Parfumo would break down 'the wall', by not have to log in on the German version, the English version and the Dutch Version when you want to read something or post.
That certainly pictures an integration I'd also appreciate. (There is a Dutch version now?)
Nevertheless, the language barrier* for many a member would remain, wouldn't it?

* referring to German here ..
Last edited by MiaTrost on 03.09.2017, 18:11; edited 1 time in total
7 years ago
Parfummaniac:
I wish that Parfumo would break down 'the wall', by not have to log in on the German version, the English version and the Dutch Version when you want to read something or post. By going to a button on the top [...] and click the language you prefer.

There is a button on the top right, below your username Smile No need to log in separately. It also serves as a quick switch on the page of each fragrance when you want to check out the reviews of another language.
7 years ago
@MiaTrost, yes the Dutch Forum is here already for years, but also not very active.
In these times when many people speak, write and read English I suppose this this shouldn't be a barrier.

@Fluxit, thanks . Alas , I tried it several times, but you need to log in to react/reply on the German version. Yes, you can read all, but not able to like etc.
6 years ago
After I started this topic seems not much have changed. How comes that the German members react on your pictures and reviews ( I posted in the German community the German translation) and it stays sooooo quiet on the International version ?

Maybe some don't , but I do give awards to pictures ( sometimes with a comment ), do 'like' statements and reviews when I agree on what is written.

I truly hope that all realize that those who take time to post a picture, statement or review keeps the international community a-life. Reward them, reply......it's not about gathering Parfumo-points but to keep this community beautiful and sparkling!

I wish you all a great scented weekend!
Carla
6 years ago
Hi, Carla. I agree with Fluxit that you need a group of people contributing on a regular basis in order to keep things interesting. A few years ago, we had a great mix of individuals as the result of a mass exodus from another perfume forum, and the International side was a lot of fun back then. As with other hobbies, some people probably lost interest and stopped visiting. I'll make a point to try to be more active on the threads, for whatever it's worth. Thanks for caring enough to broach the topic.
6 years ago
Parfummaniac:
@Fluxit, thanks . Alas , I tried it several times, but you need to log in to react/reply on the German version. Yes, you can read all, but not able to like etc.

That's a shame, perhaps it's got something to do with cookies/browser setting. Once in a while, I am 'thrown out' from either page and have to log in, but otherwise, the switching with full functionality is done automatically (perhaps also because my login data are saved).

I think Fluxit nailed it, there needs to be a 'core group' like on the German site (I must admit that I do not contribute there much either because I'm not the group-involved type, I would get tired).
I, too, do appreciate people posting pictures and text, comments, blogs and a single line in the 'what's happening now?' and daily fragrances alike. I don't really think anyone here would do anything for Points' sake, I'm sure many still don't even know (like I always forget) that even forum posts are counted. For that purpose, some online games might give more satisfaction - I used to like those flower-growing simulation games Laughing
For all the lively activity that may fluctuate, I also support that Parfumo continues the stress/focus on its strengths distinguishing it so much from other platforms (not to mention the cluttered, intransparent, heavy mess of FB which doesn't provide reliability for many reasons).
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Difference in the English and German version
Jump to