Search Forum

Niche-istas! Your help, please, w/ woody-vanillic orientals

Niche-istas! Your help, please, w/ woody-vanillic orientals 11 years ago
Many of the ones below have sort of a popsicle sweetness to me in the drydown, which I'm not really crazy about, especially given their price tags.

In the same vein, though not necessarily as sweet as these, where would you direct me to explore next?

Il Profumo - Vanille Bourbon
Il Profume - Chocolat Amere
Ginestet - Boytritist
Frapin - 1270
Frapin - 1697
Mona di Orio - Les Nombres d'Or Vanille (my favorite of these listed)
Parfums de Nicolai - Vanille Intense (my second favorite of these listed)
11 years ago
I understand this problem. All I can say is go for Guerlain:

- "Bois d'Armenie"
- "Spiritueuse Double Vanille"
- "Jicky"
11 years ago
Hmmm. This may get me beaten, spanked, hazed, tarred and feathered, but you should consider (dons flame retardant suit) ahem... Angel Parfum Excessif. ("excessive extract) It has a sweet kick in the opening, but the rest is all pure bitter cocoa powder on a backdrop of vanilla. Quite interesting, actually.

But you said NICHE. So with that in mind, you could layer Lutens Borneo 1834 and Lutens Un Bois Vanille. I know that sounds off the wall blasphemous, but I'm a firm believer that if you can't find a scent to suit your wishes, you whip it up yourself by any means available.

Note to Apicius: Not a single emoticon was abused in the making of this post.
11 years ago
LiliumLibido:

Note to Apicius: Not a single emoticon was abused in the making of this post.
Laughing
11 years ago
I understand this problem. All I can say is go for Guerlain:

- "Bois d'Armenie"
- "Spiritueuse Double Vanille"
- "Jicky:89de5bd3de]

Thank you! I have tried the second two before, and I will sample Bois d'Armenie.

By the way, is Bois d'Armenie similar at all to Tonka Imperiale and Angelique Noir? I've tried those already.
11 years ago
I found this to be quite woody & vanillic "Cadjmere" PG perfumes. Very well suited for winter/autumn. Its creamy somewhat too.
11 years ago
LL and Rosecat, thank you for the suggestions!
11 years ago
Haven't tried them but these certainly seem to fit the bill so they would be worth sampling:

"Tihota" by Indult
"Felanilla No.21" by PG
"Eau Des Baux" by l'Occitane
"Boisé Vanillé" by Montale
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
By the way, is Bois d'Armenie similar at all to Tonka Imperiale and Angelique Noir? I've tried those already.
Yes and no. Many Guerlain fragrances share a certain vibe that includes something vanillic - I mean the famous Guerlinade. Guerlain simply can do vanilla.

There are legends or rumors that they do not use pure vanillin. Instead they are said to have a supplier who produces vanillin the common, more expensive method from around 1900. The result was an impure vanillin. Other people think they simply add some ashes to make it dirtier.

Anyway, I have translated my Bois d'Armenie review for you.
11 years ago
Dolby:
Haven't tried them but these certainly seem to fit the bill so they would be worth sampling:

"Tihota" by Indult
"Felanilla No.21" by PG
"Eau Des Baux" by l'Occitane
"Boisé Vanillé" by Montale
Nobody should have to die before having tested Montale's "Boisé Vanillé"!
11 years ago
I read you fantastic review, thank you!

Apicius, by the way, I see from comments that you are not a big fan of vanilla in perfume. Well, I used to be the same way, having worn Chanel No. 19 most of my adult life, and prior to that Paco Rabanne Eau de Calandre (strong aldehydes in that one!) and could never understand why anyone would want to smell of vanilla!

The shift came when exploring the world of perfume became a hobby, and now I am hooked on vanilla, big time!! I can hardly imagine wearing anything without a noticeable vanilla note. And now I curse all those years I went without vanilla on my skin! Laughing
11 years ago
Dulcemio, I am not a big fan of vanilla, but generally I thik there are no bad notes, only poorly made perfumes. There are certainly some vanillic perfumes that i really like, but I will not wear them very often.
11 years ago
Suggestion:
Eau Duelle from Diptique
Vanille 44 Le Labo's Paris exclusive
Vanille Absolument from L Artisan Parfumeur
11 years ago
Has anyone tried La Maison de la Vanille? I had all of their line during a rather crazed vanilla obsession. I now have one, Vanille givree' des Antilles.
11 years ago
Also try Serge Luten's "Un Bois Vanille", Laurence Dumount's "Vanille Noire" and Bois 1920 "Vaniglia". My personal favorites are listed above Ginestet "Le Boise" and Mona Di Orio's "Les Nombres D'Or Vanille" mixed with a drop of Bois 1920's.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Recommendations Niche-istas! Your help, please, w/ woody-vanillic orientals
Jump to