Search Forum

your sales relationship

1 - 25 by 35
your sales relationship 11 years ago
I have read here and there about people who see particular sales associates or only buy exclusively from one sales associate. Are you in a "sales relationship"? What kind of extras have you received? How about receiving the scoop on upcoming fragrances?

For me, I visit the manager and one particular sales associate at the Jo Malone counter at Nordstrom. They are generous with samples and have told me about upcoming releases. It's kind of nice, as I used to rarely get samples or talk to associates. I know ultimately they just want my money...BUT...at least the shopping experience feels so more personal than all the self-service stores I go to today (although I do enjoy them from time to time).
11 years ago
I agree the Jo Malone counter at Nordstrom's are very generous with samples. When I lived in Cincinnati 2 years ago I asked for 18 samples for gifts for our bowling league luncheon. Not only they gave them to me, they wrapped them and put them in their white bag. I wrote a letter to the home office to thank them.
11 years ago
In Germany you could be lucky to get some extras and good information if you visit a private perfumery in your area. I never have been to one - the usual big stores like Douglas don't have such services in general, some makes exceptions.

As for Jo Malone. I'd love to smell that new Sugar & Spice collection, but oh wonder the brand is nowhere to be found in Germany.

Hopefully my contacts can help me - Hayven I await helpful comments so my requests are for good LaughingWink

My personal experiences are only made online which I talked about in the samples thread Smile
11 years ago
Hayven, I think my sales relationship is similar to yours. The manager at my local Nordstrom puts things away for me with my name on it just in case she is not there when I come in. If I want something right away, I just call her and order over the phone and I have a nice goodie bag waiting for me when I come in.
11 years ago
Up until 2 months ago, I lived in Phoenix. While there, I had the most amazing relationships with SAs at Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom. At Neimans, the SA would always hook me up with samples of everything my heart desired when I shopped there. When vendors were in the store, she would ask them if they had any special goodies that she could give to me and they usually did. I received some of the most amazing extras every time I shopped there. Sadly, she retired about one month prior to my leaving Phoenix.

At Nordstrom the Fragrance Department manager was my source for samples. Nords is good about samples anyway, but he really went above and beyond. He gave me tons of manufacturer's samples instead of the ones they make on the spot. He also gave me GWPs even when there was no event taking place. He got to know my taste so well that when new fragrances came in, he would set aside those that he 'knew' I'd like and call me to let me know. He was usually right. Many times, when shopping there, I'd need an extra bag (small bag of course) for my extras.

I'm in Denver now and I miss shopping at those two Phoenix stores SOOOOOO MUCH!! The customer service was second to none. Granted, I spent tons of money at both stores, but the friendly SAs, great customer service and amazing extras took the sting out of parting with my money.
11 years ago
Ladies! you are so lucky!! We have NO samples here...none at all. You go into the shop, that sells fragrances, and they have tester bottles, and paper strips. That's it...they don't even give you a wee vial, if you have spent a bloody fortune! I have asked, so nicely..and just get the same answer..No samples...test bottle...sigh...And, I have been in that Wonderful store, Nordstroms...when I go to visit my sister..I love that store! The beautiful Cosmetic Dept...Oh. the smell of all those wonderful products! Do they still have the coffee and pastries in the morning, with the person playing the piano? You are so lucky, living in the U.S...I used to live there, years ago, so know how wonderful it is!
The CARON Boutique 11 years ago
In New York City, hidden on the third floor in a corner building with a different name entrance is the CARON Boutique, full of urns and full of good aromas. The gracious sales lady already helped me twice discover a few CARON scents. 2 samples were automatically given, to train my nose and a friendly good-bye. OK, so next time, I had heard of a deal that one can purchase 3 samples for $l5. Up the elevator to the marvelous enclave of the CARON Boutique I go and enter again into perfume world and perfume discussion. I had said outright that I want to purchase the three samples, but at the end of our testing session, the nice lady gifted them to me again.
I feel so guilty. None of the three checked out, maybe the "Accord 119" ... I cannot go back and get a bottle.
I could maybe go back and test the next row of 3 samples for $15. and this time, insist to pay. Am still curious about "Or et Noir" eau de parfum. Anyway, she has so many urns, something could shine out ...
11 years ago
Things aren't as bad as I thought them to be: ever since I'm entering perfume shops that work as 'chains' more frequently (Douglas, Ici Paris), I've been gifted store-made samples to try out, but I'm feeling awkward to ask for more than 1 at the time.
It was at the smaller independently owned niche perfumeries where I've received more samples at once and I felt awkward about this too, since essentially I'm a sample/decant hunter. I'd not mind to pay for samples , considering the work that goes into them and the fact I will rarely if ever want a full bottle.

ATM I don't go in as often as before when visiting a perfume shop was an easy addition to my daily errands (different location now), but when I did, I was on the lookout for a specific person to talk to. Apparently that wasn't the one who was most generous in giving away samples.. I'm now going to try in another store where the manager was most friendly to me (it helped my DH was with me). It turns out that while not buying full bottles of fragrances, I'm spending money on nail care Wink
The convenience of the internet 11 years ago
When I am absolutely certain what I want, I forget about a "perfume experience" "sales relationship" "glamour" "the customer is king" and just order the convenient and most price-worthy item.

Lately, shipping considerations come into play. Will I receive my merchandise ? Then, it is important to pick internet sellers accordingly - look at the location from where it is shipped and verify the guaranties that the seller promises.
11 years ago
Most of the scents I buy are from LuckyScent online, so there is no relationship with an individual associate but I do make an exception with the EdP Frederic Malle purchases I make as LS does not carry the line.

In the case of those I buy exclusively from a great rep I met during a trip to Las Vegas at the Barney's there. He gave me excellent customer service and I remembered it. Now every time I am considering or buying a fragrance from the Malle line I give him a call or shoot him an email. He also reaches out to me every few weeks or months to check in and never tries to make a "hard-sell" while also providing me with samples of prospective Malle (or other house) scents I might be interested in. Great customer service is definitely worth something to me.
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
I never visit perfume counters but instead rely on On-line emporiums, Ebay, or sales at Marshalls and similar. I want the best quality my pathetic little checking account will allow me, and I can't get the most for my dollar if I shop regular retail stores. SO expensive. I study the various frag. categories, know what I like, read reviews, order samples when possible, and then cross my fingers and hope for the best. So far so good. A few losers, but those I donate to an animal charity for fund-raising purposes so it's not a total loss. I'd LOVE to go into a perfume shop and just buy what appeals to me! But for now, my system works for me.

Most of the time, I am that way too. I normally purchase online as there are coupons and free shipping. But there are some perfumes that I like are not sold online or actually cost MORE (especially on eBay) than to actually just go to the store and get it --Jo Malone is one of them. Otherwise I don't bother with Macy's, Sears. Carson's, and the like.
11 years ago
Today I went strutting into Nordstrom with my nose in the air like I always do. I asked for my favorite SA but she was not in. I was told that she had gotten a promotion and now works in another department on another floor. I told them that I already knew that, now page her.

When I learned that she was in fact off, I asked permission to decant my own samples of Jo Malone's new line. They granted me permission and I left after decanting 2 vials I needed for someone else. When my regular SA comes in, I will simply ask her for more. Everyone there knows I only buy from her and are reluctant to offer to help me. I'm glad!
11 years ago
I usually don't get bothered by SAs. When I do, "No hablo ingles" works wonders. Wink
11 years ago
Cryptic:
I usually don't get bothered by SAs. When I do, "No hablo ingles" works wonders. Wink

"Sorry, no haa-blow English!"
11 years ago
I found a new store chock full of vintages. The owner showed signs of trust on day one. On day 2, we exchanged numbers, he let me behind the counter to charge my phone, he let me open and sniff anything I wanted to. He is trying to order a few things for me. We have a really good relationship already. I just might inherit a fragrance store after all!
Drawback~~~his prices are high! He says he will give me some stuff soon but for right now 15-20% discount only.
11 years ago
Sounds wonderful Dig, please don't pass up the splashes. Wink

The perfume gods are with you my dear.
11 years ago
Ok so he wasn't able to get me the L' Feu so he offeres ne his last bottle of L' Feu light for free. I can't complain.
11 years ago
Any KL old bottles at that shop DIDirt?? If there is, let me know, and I will buy one. Wink
11 years ago
He found me 2 shockings edp 3.4 and 2 mcqueen Kingdoms and 3 more Safari pure parfum. I'm in heaven these days. A pic of the safari bottle is on my perfume pictures but no box for it.
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Ahahaha ... +1.
Can't be bothered so do my shopping online.
Some of you ladies have great rapports however.
A rare thing to cherish.
11 years ago
My rapport stinks! I just go dressed in rags and ask for the most expensive thing in the house Laughing
11 years ago
SA's are a mixed bag with me. I agree that Nordstrom tends to be the class act regarding fragrances sales and other departments as well. Others reatilers are hit or miss.

One instance that stands out in my mind is when I had one very nice young woman at Macy's who kept dropping citrus aquatics my way because they all smelled so nice on her boyfriend. Then, she tried to discourage me from a couple of scents because they were for the older, over 40 crowd....I smiled and said said "That's me!" At that point, she looked embarrassed and she sent her manager over, a lovely, mature woman, who took her time and helped me pick out a scent I loved, and sent me home with loads of free samples....all of which were for the "older" crowd...LOL. I will visit her again when I want something right away.

I miss the old days before Macy's absorbed The Bon Marche....I always loved getting fragrances there.
11 years ago
Last night I went back to a store I hadn't visited for maybe 3 weeks. Every time I asked to see something, the SA immediately began opening the box. I had to tell her no, stop, I don't need to smell it. I like the idea that they will open a sealed package just to please me. I am a good customer after all and they do accommodate me. It's nice.
10 years ago
I have 'a thing' going on with the Diptyque Representative at my local Nordstrom (Department Store). I appreciate his sense of metrostyle and daring in wearing even Volutes smells fine on him (considered heady creamy and femme). Also he abruptly poured out his life story which was not all fragrance and smiley faces, but bore many similarities to my own journey coincidently...instant rapport! When I told him I was moving he whipped out his card and said "Call Me if you need anything- even if I don't get the commission- I will have it sent directly to your house free of charge." Me Likey!
1 - 25 by 35
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community your sales relationship
Jump to