Search Forum

What scent on a first date - old dog, new tricks?

What scent on a first date - old dog, new tricks? 11 years ago
"Am I hearing right?" you might think. Isn't this a topic for a teenager to ponder and get worried over ...

Oh no, this topic is quite apt for older persons, too. We have lived a while, we have acquired plenty of perfumes ... and also have acquired plenty of life experience. Some are single again, perhaps divorced, ready to plunge into the getting-to-know the other sex pool. Now, with all the perfume experience in the world, they still ask themselves:

"What am I going to wear?"
11 years ago
I should probably choose to wear something elegant and unoffensive but I would probably decide to wear a Tauer. You never get a second chance to make a good first impression Wink
11 years ago
Digindirt:
I should probably choose to wear something elegant and unoffensive but I would probably decide to wear a Tauer. You never get a second chance to make a good first impression Wink

I Totally agree!! I would wear something different, and distinctive! Something quite bold and wonderful! Tauer #12 would be just perfect, or Alien Essence Absolue! Might as well show him who you are, from the very beginning! Wink
To scent or not to scent - that is the question 11 years ago
I would wear something harmless but classy, maybe "Madison Square Park" by Bond No. 9.

Not a dramatic scent, like "Lyric Woman" by Amouage.

I would NOT wear "Boudoir" by Vivienne Westwood.
11 years ago
HAHAHA...Neither would I wear Boudoir! Why be so encouraging on the first date!!! Laughing
11 years ago
I really have no idea, it would have a lot to do with where we would be going on our first date.
11 years ago
I once met a patient's family member who wore a perfume that smelled of incense and was very seductive. I am kicking myself by not asking what she wore; but it was WONDERFUL, and I bet it would turn some heads (in a good way).

Are y' going on a date, Pipette? Smile
11 years ago
No, I lost interest. But, as usual, plenty of advice ... due to life experience, he he he
Smile
11 years ago
Pipette:
No, I lost interest. But, as usual, plenty of advice ... due to life experience, he he he
Smile
And...too smart for repeats! Wink
11 years ago
But with joking aside...this can be a big dilemma for a lot of women who are entering the dating world, at a more mature age. Just consider...they probably have had a full life..grown children..perhaps grandchildren..They are now alone. No husband..kids all doing their own thing etc. They don't want to come across as a Newbie to relationships..but in fact, they are newbies) I still believe if you are ever in this position...just be Who you are..don't change your persona or your fragrance preferences! I always believe...what you feel comfortable with, will be the best decision. That goes for clothes, shoes, make-up. perfume etc. So...don't let that first date be daunting...just be yourself...that is more than enough!
Topics of conversation 11 years ago
Also, one more thing - even though we are bubbling over with perfume knowledge and would like to get a reaction to that "special" scent, the date may be a total "dud" as far as perfumes are concerned. So, just show your personality - like dalmajen says - and forget about making a big impression with that well chosen scent. It may not be noticed at all, unless it is applied too heavily. It is more of a confirmation of the own self than a cloud of perfume that needs to be complimented.

In cozy intimate situations - later, later (I suppose) - then the question of "oh you smell so good, I could just eat you up" will come up.

As I write, I can just see the smiles about what comes up.
11 years ago
It does depend upon which parts of your personality you want to emphasize, and how you think you will connect with the other person. I could see myself rocking "Memoir Man", "Polo Explorer", or "Hugo" -- it all depends.
11 years ago
Oooh, Silverfire. I don't think I've smelled any of those. Especially Memoir Man sounds intriguing.

Yeah, it would depend on a lot of factors. I guess I'd stay away from some of the more odd things in my wardrobe and go toward a lot of simple, fresh scents if I hadn't met the person before. What comes to mind for me is Masaki Matsushima Mat;Orange or Yves Rocher Orange et Amande, for instance. To me, these scents say that you are vivacious and clean but are unlikely to be associated with anything negative the person might have smelled before. (I think almost all floral scents have associations - good and bad - for some people.)
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Recommendations What scent on a first date - old dog, new tricks?
Jump to