Search Forum

Random thoughts on Reviews

1 - 25 by 187
Random thoughts on Reviews 11 years ago
I like reviews.
I wish I was more knowledgeable when it comes to structure and notes, in particular chemical compounds, or able to write as vivid and cleverly as some perfume lovers are able to do.

When I sample a fragrance I am interested in, I also frequent reviews on it, for I strive to train my still relatively inexperienced nose and believe this is one way to do just that. Hence, I cherish a review that is, above all, informative and insightful (aka helpful review); if it is also cunning or beautifully written, all the better (and award-worthy).

Shem-el-Nessim sparked my interest what others perceived in it. So I searched and, as often, turned to my usual suspects amongst the many perfume blogs. To be also consulted is, of course, Parfumo. Parfumo international, though growing, is yet too immature to always feature a review. If there are none, or not sufficient, then basenotes is next and sometimes even Fragrantica, though it really is tedious labour to track down the scarce gem over there ..

Amongst the more sophisticated comments on bn and F, I repeatedly stumble across plagiarism; the ones on Shem-el-Nessim forming no exception here. I always wonder if those copy-cats take their fellow fumeheads for illiterate?! Don’t they anticipate that any halfway devoted blog-reader will instantly be able to tell and regard them as pretentious and unoriginal?! Leave alone their evident lack of respect for intellectual property.

What do you value or bewail concerning perfume reviews?
---
Edit: typo
Last edited by MiaTrost on 19.03.2013, 13:46; edited 2 times in total
11 years ago
I will be following this thread. Should be interesting.

Quote...I like reviews.
I wish I was more knowledgeable when it comes to structure and notes, in particular chemical compounds, or able to write as vivid and cleverly as some perfume lovers are able to do.

---------------------------------------------- ---------------------
I wish also Mia.
11 years ago
I am fairly new to the review world myself, and am far from sophisticated. I am training my nose as well, and getting better, and hopefully providing a semi-decent review for the site here and there.

I value a straightforward approach to reviews. Aside from the notes pyramid, I like to get the reviewer's impression of how well those notes blend, what comes forth during the initial spray, and what the perfume settles down into. A few sentences regarding that, and maybe an evaluation or a comparison to some similar fragrance, which I may know. I like to make an informed decision.

I do get frustrated with reviews that refer to fragrances as "old man" or "old lady" perfumes, as well as reviews that simply refer to the fragrance as "common." Those labels are too subjective to really mean much in my opinion.

First thing, a younger person with a more sober and mature attitude may enjoy that fragrance (myself in my 20s), and all of these "old man" or "old lady" fragrances were once popular with the young crowd. They are just not what is currently fashionable in designer fragrances. On the other hand, "young" perfume may be a great choice for someone with a youthful spirit. My 60 something mother and my grandmother in her late 80s both rock several "young" perfumes. My grandmother especially...get her a bottle of Chantilly, and it will sit there unused. However, a bottle of CK One will be used to the last drop.

As far "common" goes, I always wonder why it is common. Is it bad blending, less than stellar ingredients, something you smell everywhere??? Or is it beneath the nose of the reviewer?

I guess I like reviews where someone honestly says whether they like it or not, and why.
11 years ago
I really enjoy reading reviews. And, I like writing them, especially if it's a fragrance that I adore, or really dislike! I am no expert, by any means..and some of the less known notes are still very hard for me to fathom! I enjoy reading reviews on fragrances that I already own, because I enjoy knowing how others feel about a fragrance I like or even love. Also, reviews help me to decide if it's even worth testing some perfumes. I have tried and tested some fabulous fragrances, based on reviews, and feel grateful to that person, for introducing me to something new, and exciting. When I write a review about something I really like, I try to be as objective as possible..as I feel just because I love it..doesn't mean it's everyone's cup of tea! But, I do get rather carried away at times, as in my excitement to portray just how wonderful the fragrance is, I probably lose sight of a more configured explanation! I do enjoy the colorful and humorous reviews, as well as negative, or thumbs down type reviews. I must admit, I enjoy writing reviews here, on Parfumo, as feel a nice, community type vibe, and the reviews that are presented here, are informative, well written, and refreshing!
11 years ago
Mia,
Are you talking about someome plagiarizing entire reviews, or paragraphs, or just a clever phrase here and there?
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Mia,
Are you talking about someome plagiarizing entire reviews, or paragraphs, or just a clever phrase here and there?

A plagiarised phrase here an there would not have inspired above sermon. Wink
For the most part, I reckognise paragraphs, sometimes paraphrised and sometimes not. The content, however, is always a 1:1 copy.
Once, though, I saw an entire review. Laughing

It's not that I am upset about such "reviews". Rather, they are a pointless farce, if you ask me.
11 years ago
Cincy:
Quote... I like reviews.

I wish also MiaVonTrost.

Shocked That bad? Then I better refrain from composing any .. Wink
Carefully measured 11 years ago
I hesitate to write reviews. When I truly like a perfume, the words come by themselves. Other than that, it is a chore. Since the reviews incite replies, mine are carefully worded ("crafted"), in order not to step on anyone's toes. Too much fuss has already been created, mostly on the German twin site, if a favorite perfume was dissed.

So, review writing is pretty much an art. My guide was originally the blog article in Apicius' Profile, "How to write a good perfume review", with some very good pointers.

www.parfumo.com/Users/Apicius

Now, I wait until the perfume speaks to me, then sit down and write and also translate it into German. To write it first in English is easy and after that with the help of babelfish and/or www.lingue.de I translate the text. The computer translators render sometimes funny versions of what it is supposed to be. One has to use the own language skills and tweak the text a bit.

Often my English review is shorter than the German version because the text has to be adapted to the cultural feelings of the country.

I understand that the previous reviews that I have written in Fragrantica are my intellectual property and I have put them here, but - just to be careful - not word per word.

I would never dream of stealing somebody's text. Unbelievable.
11 years ago
MiaTrost:
Dulcemio:
Mia,

For the most part, I reckognise paragraphs, sometimes paraphrised and sometimes not. The content, however, is always a 1:1 copy.

It's not that I am upset about such "reviews". Rather, they are a pointless farce, if you ask me.

Oh, okay. I don't read a ton of reviews, so I haven't come across any full-on copied or paraphrased ones, but I have recognized some of my own and other people's unusual phrasing re-used a few times on the F site. I figured the person just really liked the phrase, or could've been a non-native speaker of English who assumed it was a common idiomatic expression. Either way, I felt complimented.

But people truly plagiarizing and taking credit for other people's lovely writing, well that's just pitiful.
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
MiaTrost:
Dulcemio:
Mia,

Oh, okay. I don't read a ton of reviews, so I haven't come across any full-on copied or paraphrased ones, but I have recognized some of my own and other people's unusual phrasing re-used a few times on the F site. I figured the person just really liked the phrase, or could've been a non-native speaker of English who assumed it was a common idiomatic expression. Either way, I felt complimented.

But people truly plagiarizing and taking credit for other people's lovely writing, well that's just pitiful.

Yes, this is just like stealing someones personal thoughts! When somebody has taken the time, and effort to write a wonderful review, it is such a pleasure sharing their love and interest in a certain fragrance. If someone has stolen the lovely words, and claimed it as their own...I think they truly need help! (With their mental state) Shocked
11 years ago
MiaTrost:
Cincy:
Quote... I like reviews.

I wish also Mia.

Shocked That bad? Then I better refrain from composing any .. Wink

Bawahahahahahaha Exclamation
11 years ago 1
I wish I could write better reviews, I do try to write a decent review which is probably why my reviews are few and far in between. Sometimes I can write fluently, other times not. I write what I feel and smell. I do my best. No need to copy someone else's review, their review is how they feel about the fragrance and my review is about how I feel.
11 years ago
(((Hugs))) Dlane, I can clearly see how this thread would bring all the unpleasant memories back to you full force. So sorry it happenend, thank goodness you did have members here that did speak up in your defense.
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
... all writers use literary techniques to make their point clear and vivid to the reader. No one owns these euphemisms, and some use them more effectively than others. Bottom line: Know whereof you speak before you begin your rant. Words are as effective as weapons.

Absolutely! Euphemisms are literary characters; no more and no less. I am sorry to learn that you had such an upleasant encounter! After all, it's only a review on a forum.
11 years ago
Dear Deb, my good friend did this in haste and did wrong and then publicly apologized for her blunder.
A blunder it was, especially in a brand new group. Brand new or not, she could not claim copyright to just an analogy that anyone could use. Since you had the same idea to use a comparison to "boxing in a ring" the fact is, that although she used it first in her review she cannot protest you using that comparison in your story.

Now she is gun shy and does not post here any more, and that it regrettable.
Just saying.

She is a darling girl and was just too "fussy" about ownership of something she wrote but actually had no right to insist and make a big drama.
Last edited by Pipette on 26.05.2013, 14:47; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Dear Pipette, I know you mean well. However, I would prefer to not have this issue reopened here. It has been resolved already, as I understand. Moreover, it just became too personal for my liking and you are third party after all ..
Thanks for understanding.
11 years ago
Okay, you are right, it has been resolved.
11 years ago
Digindirt:
I wish I could write better reviews, I do try to write a decent review which is probably why my reviews are few and far in between. Sometimes I can write fluently, other times not. I write what I feel and smell. I do my best. No need to copy someone else's review, their review is how they feel about the fragrance and my review is about how I feel.

I am the same. I haven't written one in a while because I need to be in the right mood.
11 years ago
I usually read some reviews over the course of a few days when I'm sample-wearing something that I intend on reviewing.

The majority of the time, I find my opinion along the lines of others due to the reviewers I choose to peruse beforehand. Not always......but more often than not.....

In the cases I experience something completely different than the "majority", I simply say so and move on to the next review. This is, after all, just a hobby. Where reviews are concerned, I think it best to find a few writers who have similar taste and take it from there.
11 years ago
I wrote a review once and the lyrics to the song Lady in Red described the fragrance perfectly (to me). I used a good bit of the lyrics in my review.

Somebody criticized it but I can't remember who. So here you have somebody complaining that a review is too much like theirs and then you have somebody complaining that MY review was too different than what they would have written.

I very comfortable in my own skin, I know what my limitations are. I learned very early on not to get caught up in a clone war. Cool
Last edited by Digindirt on 21.03.2013, 03:20; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Digindirt:
I wrote a review once and the lyrics to the song Lady in Red described the fragrance perfectly (to me). I used a good bit of the lyrics in my review.

Somebody criticized it but I can't remember who.

Same charming individual who went after Dlane1953. Rolling Eyes
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Digindirt:

Somebody criticized it but I can't remember who.

Same charming individual who went after Dlane1953. Rolling Eyes

No way! Geez, one extreme to the next...
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Random thoughts on Reviews
1 - 25 by 187
Jump to