Search Forum

Guess that scent. A game:

4401 - 4425 by 4531
9 years ago
Grey darling, I got the hint. You are bad to the bone .... Laughing I found a couple of sites that confirm the frag, however No photo found.

Grey will be back with a question. So glad he is back in the game.
9 years ago
Scented Syllables
The object of this puzzle is to use the clues in conjunction with the table of syllables to determine the names of six fragrances. Using the syllables, you will construct the answer to each clue. Each syllable in the table is only used once. The number next to the clue indicates the number of letters in the answer. Each name is a single, common English word. All six fragrances are produced by one, well known house.
Example:
I BEL DEC
Unit of sound (7) Decibel (by Azzaro)
---------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
Name the house and each fragrance:

E O DO FA NO RI RI RO
TO SA MON OUR OUS OUS TUX
GLAM GRAM MANCE

Clues:
1) Infamous (9)
2) Formal wear (6)
3) Expedition (6)
4) Love affair (7)
5) Dazzling (10)
6) Initial 8
9 years ago
Nice puzzle, Grey.

House = Ralph Lauren

1. "Notorious"

2. "Tuxedo"

3. "Safari"

4. "Romance"

5. "Glamourous"

6. "Monogram"
9 years ago
Congrats, Cryptic! Let's see what you've got to torture our little gray cells....
9 years ago
I knew that our Cryptic would be all over that one, and with the correct answer.
9 years ago
Thank you, Grey. Cincy, you know this word nerd too well.

One obscure house, seven perfumes:

1. He kept his portrait in the attic,

2. He kept his lunatic wife in the attic,

3. Governess who fell in love with her boss,

4. She came from Green Gables,

5. She went to Wonderland,

6. Snotty rich guy who was reformed by a good woman, and

7. Awesome chica who became the mistress of Pemberely
9 years ago
Could we be referring to the offerings from Ravenscourt Apothecary with suitably old fashioned and literary names for their perfumes.
1. Vanity portrait = "Dorian Gray"
2. Husband of attic lunatic = "Mr Rochester"
3. Lustful governess = "jane Eyre"
4. Green Gables girl = "Anne Of Avonlea"
5. Wonderland visitor = "Alice"
6. Snotty, rich dude = "Mr Darcy"
7. Pemberley mistress = "Elizabeth Bennet"
9 years ago
Brilliant! Your turn, Triffid.
9 years ago
We are looking for one perfume only. The following images have links to that perfume and provide the clues. I'll add more images if needed but I'm sure the clever ones will sort it out pretty quickly.
9 years ago
I have added another image.
9 years ago
Triffid:
I have added another image.

Dang, Triffid! Just when I thought I had this wrapped up you added the photo of Revlon nail polish! I'll go ahead and use my first guess even though it's probably wrong, ...

Youth Dew by Estee Lauder?
9 years ago
I'm afraid not, Greysolon, although there is a link between Youth Dew (last picture) and the perfume in question.
The first picture is a clue to the name of the perfume.
As no one is likely to recognise him, the second clue is a link to the guy in the first picture (hint: look at Michelle Obama).
The third pic is a hint as to the year of release.
The fourth and fifth pics are hints regarding the perfumer (now that's given it away!)
The latest pic is a not-so-subtle brand hint - nail polish was their first product and this was their first perfume.
9 years ago
"Norell" by Norell?
If it's correct I got a little undone because I was trying to find it under the brand Revlon. Either that or, once again, I've given the wrong answer! Laughing
9 years ago
You are absolutely correct Greysolon, "Norell" it is.
I do apologise for the confusion. It seems I didn't double check the parfumo database listing and you've drawn my attention to the fact that the brand is now listed as Norell rather than Revlon.
It was the first perfume created by Revlon, who then sold it to Five Star Fragrances in 1999. Now it seems to be sold under a brand name that mimics the perfume.
As for the clues that I thought were so easy:
-the first is a picture of the perfume's namesake, fashion designer Norman Norell. He seems largely unknown now but apparently his exquisite designs were as famous as those by Givenchy et al.
-Michelle Obama is wearing a vintage Norell gown in the family Christmas photo which apparently drew a bit of interest.
-third pic is Rolling Stones Beggar's Banquet album, released in 1968, the year of this perfume's release. A great year for music! Perhaps I should have gone for Hey Jude (top song ) or The Doors or Cream or The Byrds or....
-Next pic is the perfumer Josephine Catapano, who also created Fidji and...
-Youth Dew.
So there it is. Let's move on, nothing to see now folks!
9 years ago
No apologies necessary, Triffid! I can be a little thick as you're about to learn...

Through a google search I learned "Norell" was Revlon's first fragrance. But when I checked the Parfumo database and found the brand Norell -which I'd never heard of- my immediate thought was that Revlon either sold the rights to the fragrance or, more likely, I was wrong. For me, assuming I'm wrong is always the safe bet!
As for the other clues, this will show you how clueless I am. The Rolling Stones cover? I thought it must indicate the fragrance is an eau de toilette. Then, when you said the man in the first photo had something in common with the photo of Michelle Obama, I thought, "Well, maybe it's their rhyming names... you know, Michelle and Norell".
Uh, yeah... duh! Laughing
I'll be back with a puzzle at least as convoluted as my previous post, "scented syllables" Wink
9 years ago
Identify the 9 perfume houses based on their logos. Submit your answers when you think you have a completed list (i.e. not one answer at a time). Just click on the thumbnail to expand.
9 years ago
Luis Vuitton, Aigner, Yves Saint Laurent
Parfums de Marly, Amouage, Houbigant
Escada (<-- that one was really difficult for me!) , Valentino, House of Matriarch

That was really fun! All correct, right?
9 years ago
You nailed it, Sleuth! Bring on the next quizzler!
9 years ago
Same game: Identify the 9 perfume houses based on their logos. Submit your answers when you think you have a completed list (i.e. not one answer at a time). Just click on the thumbnail to expand.
9 years ago
Knock, knock anybody home? Wow, this thread has an echo! We scared them all away, Sleuth! If I've got the answers correct I'll come up with something a little different for the next puzzle.

Adidas, Guerlain, Mona Di Orio
Hermes, Neela Vermeire (that was the toughest one), Parfums de Nicolai
David Beckham, Kenzo, Versace
9 years ago
You've ALMOST got them all!

Actually the "K" is from Karl Lagerfeld. It turns out he uses several logo's and apparently I used his old logo... Sorry for that. So for that reason I approve all your answers!

I'm looking forward what game you come up with now.
9 years ago
Time for a new question, ladies and gents.

Name the new perfume line featuring three scents named after animals. More clues to follow if this is too obscure.
9 years ago
"Panda" "Rhinoceros" and "Beaver" by Zoologist.
I only know of these because someone brought samples to a local fragrance group get together that I attended. I didn't end up smelling them though.
9 years ago
Right on the money, Triffid. Smile
9 years ago
Many apologies for clue delay! Using the Marcia Brady excuse, "something suddenly came up" and I totally forgot about it. Anyway, we are looking for this:

You'll have sticky fingers
When using this stuff,
But which brand to choose?
There are more than enough!

The one with the seventies
Vibe is the brand,
As it matches the song
And the age of the band.
4401 - 4425 by 4531
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Guess that scent. A game:
Jump to