Search Forum

Translated reviews

Translated reviews 5 years ago
I was wondering why reviews from the German Parfumo-community are automatically translated into English but not visa versa? The translations also shows many times language-failures in the sentence structure . Sometimes the author also writes his/her review here in the English language...then there's no need at all to translate the original review . Please explain , thanks in advantage!
Re: Translated reviews 5 years ago
Hi, as far as I have observed, since English is taught as the 1st foreign language at the majority of German secondary schools - apart from the great linguistic proximity to German (though not as close as to Dutch) - it is easier for German-speaking members to read English reviews on parfumo.com if they wish, than the other way round for international members to read German reviews on parfumo.de.
Furthermore, given the constant flow and number of incoming reviews on parfumo.de, I am 100% sure that German* members are happy to keep the current state of traffic for a better overview.

Obviously, translation is done automatically, so I would assume that the lack of quality compared to paid human translators are understandable (talking about the ideal case - I've seen a number of human translations that were much worse).
However, this translation feature can be deactivated. Therefore, translated reviews displayed on parfumo.com come from members who have given their consent and accept the flaws that you have pointed out.
Some members prefer to write reviews separately in both languages or manually correct the automatic translation afterwards. This is all possible.

It can be said that overall, while reading may not be an issue for the reasons mentioned above, for those who do not feel comfortable or hesitate to actually write reviews in English (and if you think about it - isn't this task sometimes difficult enough even in your mother tongue?), this feature is very welcome because it gives them the opportunity to share their reviews with more people by overcoming the language barrier.
I suppose that the translated comments under the reviews are also intended to encourage interaction between German* and international Parfumo members.
And so far, the feedback from the German* community on this feature has indeed seemed very positive.

I hope to have answered some of your questions.

*Here, German = German-speaking. Shortened for simplicity.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Translated reviews
Jump to