Search Forum

Remarkable perfume ads & commercials

26 - 50 by 80
10 years ago
No, I am NOT ready for Centaur! Laughing

And WolfM, apparently it's "you will be like him."
www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/28/old-spice-sa les-up-107-pe_n_662013.html

Some advertising that shows lots of skin is overtly sexual, but most of it seems more sensual than sexual to me. I, for one, enjoy looking at beautiful half-naked and naked people of both sexes.
10 years ago
I am going to go look at the naked man again.... I like...
10 years ago
I like Nina Ricci advertisements.

I also like the Miss Dior ads. They're overly seen and done, but I think Natalie Portman is a beautiful woman.

10 years ago
Ooh, those Nina Ricci ads are pretty. I could hang that first one in my bathroom!
10 years ago
Moschino! Tee hee hee Very Happy

But I am disappointed that Alexander Skarsgård isn't naked here:

10 years ago
That first Nina Ricci ad is lovely, Hayven. Et voilà, Miss Dior Chérie's ancestress, still beautiful.

Last edited by MiaTrost on 04.02.2014, 08:47; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
I never liked the perfume, but Margot's smile was the best.
10 years ago
Sweetgrass:
Besides the likes of Nicki Minaj, Rihanna and Beyoncé, it's really hard to find women of colour cast for big-budget perfume ads. Shame!

Pertinent observation, Sweetgrass. The number of minority models used for perfume advertisement seems to be pretty low indeed. Naively I thought Lanvin might have capitalised on Josephine Baker, since she was a style icon and Arpège reportedly her favourite perfume. Nope. Yet Serge Lutens grasps the appeal of a diva.

This one I like but apparently I am being totally ignorant and I am ever so grateful for having been lectured accordingly in this article.

Last edited by MiaTrost on 04.02.2014, 14:04; edited 2 times in total
10 years ago
MiaTrost:
... accordingly in this article.

My God! The author has serious problems, I suspect
''the incognizant viewers must be discredited on the basis of their incomprehensiveness in analysis and conception.''
Yeah, sure...

This is called "looking under the cow - goat":

''... it is implied black kinky hair is not beautiful''
'' The model’s head is thrown back, as though all hope is gone''.
''black model (the negative creature, the shadow).''.
''she finds it impossible to look into the eyes of the bird''
''model, who is simultaneously embracing the “whiteness’ all around her''
'' she is a negative obstacle in his “white” kingdom''...

WTF!?!
nonono, enough!!
It's just pathetic
10 years ago
Lutens ad is pure beauty!
10 years ago
WolfM:
Lutens ad is pure beauty!

Totally! I believe he came up with this style for Shiseido back in the 80s.

10 years ago
WolfM:
WTF!?!
nonono, enough!!
It's just pathetic

Laughing WTF is right! Talk about over-thinking the issue!

My favorite:
'' The model’s head is thrown back, as though all hope is gone''

Based on that sentence alone, I will skip the article.

That being said, I will point out that this photo, and the Lutens ad with Billie Holiday, are not ideal examples of women of color in advertising, because the word 'black' figures into these products, thus making these women useful, one could argue, because of their color. So this girl is effectively employed here as a black model, rather than just a model. I want her to just be a model. I would like to see this same model, with her perfect cheekbones and boobs, in an ad for Del Pozo In White, photographed in white clothing or covered in white flowers or something.
10 years ago
WolfM:
MiaTrost:
... accordingly in this article.

My God! The author has serious problems, I suspect
''the incognizant viewers must be discredited on the basis of their incomprehensiveness in analysis and conception.''
Yeah, sure...

This is called "looking under the cow - goat":

''... it is implied black kinky hair is not beautiful''
'' The model’s head is thrown back, as though all hope is gone''.
''black model (the negative creature, the shadow).''.
''she finds it impossible to look into the eyes of the bird''
''model, who is simultaneously embracing the “whiteness’ all around her''
'' she is a negative obstacle in his “white” kingdom''...

WTF!?!
nonono, enough!!
It's just pathetic

Lmao Mia and WolfM, who's overreacting or -thinking here? Very Happy The blog's author is majoring psychology and anthropology among other things, and analyzing beauty standards and acceptable appearances for women, especially black, is well within their expertise. Considering they're black, too. You write about the stuff that's closest to you, no?

What's wrong or pathetic with an analysis that frames an ad in ways that aren't familiar to you? Nowhere was it written that the picture is not beautiful, anyway, so why the ruffled feathers?
10 years ago
Now I'm laughing my ass off.

Excuse me some of you for stating the obvious, but majoring in something doesn't make you an expert, far from it, just like an unverified wikipedia entry is useless. (FYI: anyone and everyone can post articles on wikipedia)
Case in point: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_binary
(the box at the top says it all)

We can express our opinion (and ridicule something we find ridiculous, because sometimes there is no substitute for common sense and life experience), just as the psych major expressed his (again, a student, not an expert by a long shot).

Edited: sorry, "calm down" was too condescending.
Last edited by Dulcemio on 04.02.2014, 23:58; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago

No introduction necessary, I hope.

But this one is by far the cleverest:

10 years ago
Oh and a must-add to the Miss Dior series:

10 years ago
MiaTrost:
That first Nina Ricci ad is lovely, Hayven. Et voilà, Miss Dior Chérie's ancestress, still beautiful.

Oooh, I likey Very Happy

I like Moschino ads too; I really liked the Popeye-type commercial just because of how silly it is.

I really like that one too, Sweetgrass. Especially the television ad that coincides with it.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=09J1xw_eMAk

So many great ads!!
10 years ago
Dulcemio:
... I will point out that this photo, and the Lutens ad with Billie Holiday, are not ideal examples of women of color in advertsing, because the word "black" figures into these products, thus making these women useful, one could argue, because of their color. So this girl is effectively employed here as a black model, rather than just a model. I want her to just be a model. I would like to see this same model, with her perfect cheekbones and boobs, in an ad for Del Pozo In White, photographed in white clothing or covered in white flowers or something.

Excellent point, Dulce! Case in point: Sahara Noir

"Just a model" seems to be a rare species in perfume advertising.
Contemplating this topic, Thierry Mugler, however, caught my attention.

10 years ago
"The Scent of Seduction, With a Hint of Flame-Grilled Meat"?! Shocked
If ever in need of a visual turn off, I now know where I can find one. Thanks for sharing, Sweetgrass!
The Dior ad, though, I do like too.
Last edited by MiaTrost on 11.12.2017, 16:39; edited 2 times in total
10 years ago
Hayven:
.. I really liked the Popeye-type commercial just because of how silly it is.

Yes, some of the Old Spice clips are hilariously funny.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLTIowBF0kE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R2cnxz27LI
10 years ago
10 years ago
That one is terrific, Dulce.

10 years ago
An oldie.
10 years ago
.. but goldie. Smile
10 years ago
lilac
26 - 50 by 80