Search Forum

Mechanical perfume bottles

Mechanical perfume bottles 10 years ago
In another thread Epimedes commented about how much he liked the mechanical cap employed on the bottle of Guerlain's "Coriolan". It reminded me of how much I enjoy using the periscoping sprayer on "Terre d'Hermès " or the rotating cover on "Voyage d'Hermès". There must be many other perfume bottles out there that utilize a mechanical feature as part of their design (?)
Last edited by Greysolon on 18.03.2014, 01:11; edited 1 time in total
10 years ago
Would Dior Addict and its flankers count? You turn the top on or off for the spray.
10 years ago
"Diesel Green Masculine"/"Diesel Green Feminine" have a plant sprayer.
10 years ago
The first ones which I can think - "X-Centric" , "Desire for a Man" , "Desire Blue" , "Desire for a Woman" - by Dunhill
10 years ago
For "Crave" by CK you have to squeeze a rubbery indent on the plastic jacket/container, which puts pressure on a plastic strip which then presses down on the nozzle. It's cute the first few times you use it, but the novelty wears off pretty fast.
I made the mistake of putting mine in my gym bag... the mechanism disconnected inside the plastic container and I had to prise the whole thing open and use it as a splash from then on.
10 years ago
Scarletting:
For "Crave" by CK you have to squeeze a rubbery indent on the plastic jacket/container, which puts pressure on a plastic strip which then presses down on the nozzle. It's cute the first few times you use it, but the novelty wears off pretty fast.
I made the mistake of putting mine in my gym bag... the mechanism disconnected inside the plastic container and I had to prise the whole thing open and use it as a splash from then on.

I read the sentence, "I made the mistake of putting mine in my gym bag...", and thought the story was headed for a different, more fragrant ending. Surprised

My wife loves the old fashioned bulb atomizers. Of course, they were, at one time, a necessity for spraying but now it's more about nostalgia for the glamour and elegance of the past. I just like that companies take the time to think about the tactile and visual aesthetics of their products. However, if it's poorly designed then what's the point, right?
10 years ago
WolfM:
The first ones which I can think - "X-Centric" , "Desire for a Man" , "Desire Blue" , "Desire for a Woman" - by Dunhill

I like the Dunhill bottles with the liquor flask design.
Even though though they are not particularly mechanical, both Chanel and Diptyque use magnetic caps for some perfumes. Those caps go back on the bottle with a gratifying snap.
10 years ago
Greysolon:

I read the sentence, "I made the mistake of putting mine in my gym bag...", and thought the story was headed for a different, more fragrant ending. Surprised

My wife loves the old fashioned bulb atomizers. Of course, they were, at one time, a necessity for spraying but now it's more about nostalgia for the glamour and elegance of the past. I just like that companies take the time to think about the tactile and visual aesthetics of their products. However, if it's poorly designed then what's the point, right?

I wouldn't mind if that were the case, Crave is one of a few perfumes I almost never OD from. It's a great perfume for summer, totally underrated IMHO!

As for bulb atomisers, I think they look great on the right bottle, but I have heard they introduce much more air into the perfume and speed up the decay of a fragrance. So I avoid them.

Beckham's "Instinct" has one of those magnetic caps you mention. It's quite satisfying. If I were to design a bottle I would likely go with the wonderful metallic glass of the Kenzo "Power" bottle with a magnetic cap. Have any of you handled a "Power" bottle? It's opaque, which is always a hassle, but the bottle is always cool and shiny silver but with the touch and sound of glass. Classy!

Edit: Hmm, it's showing the wrong bottle. Does anyone know how to specify the right perfume when there are multiple name matches?
10 years ago
Scarletting:
Edit: Hmm, it's showing the wrong bottle. Does anyone know how to specify the right perfume when there are multiple name matches?

Sometimes the Parfumo system is very precise about the name. In this case I think it wants "Kenzo Power". Occasionally I have to go to the page of a specific fragrance and then copy/paste the name into the text window because there's a slight discrepancy between what I've written and what's actually on the page.

I've never seen the bottle in person but Power's stainless steel sake bottle is sleek.

Hayden, the on/off knob on top of the Addict bottle is one of those touches that adds to the experience of using a product. I assume it also functions as the spray button?

Sleuth, the Deisel bottle is interesting because it utilizes packaging that appears to be so contrary to the idea perfume. Kind of edgy, toxic looking...
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Mechanical perfume bottles
Jump to