Search Forum

your sales relationship

26 - 35 by 35
10 years ago
Flavorite:
I have 'a thing' going on with the Diptyque Representative at my local Nordstrom (Department Store). I appreciate his sense of metrostyle and daring in wearing even Volutes smells fine on him (considered heady creamy and femme). Also he abruptly poured out his life story which was not all fragrance and smiley faces, but bore many similarities to my own journey coincidently...instant rapport! When I told him I was moving he whipped out his card and said "Call Me if you need anything- even if I don't get the commission- I will have it sent directly to your house free of charge." Me Likey!

Flavorite, my wife and I have developed a similar relationship with our Diptyque rep. During a release bash last year one of the Diptyque execs visited and our rep set up a personal meeting for us with him. She calls us every so often and while it is, of course, a bit of a sales call, it's also personal and friendly. We've never had a sales relationship like this in any other retail venue. It's very pleasant.
BTW, Volutes is a great amber for men; one of my favorites Very Happy
10 years ago
Oooohh, I wish I had an actual perfume counter near me (and enough disposable income to actually form a relationship with the people there). I get most of my samples from different eBay sellers and I have my favourites saved up for later reference when I'm looking for something they might have. With some, I talk, but mostly I don't.
10 years ago
I had one very brief but mutually beneficial bit of rapport with an SA at a boutique..After about a minute of listening to my sincere and enthusiastic rambling about a few of their perfumes, she could tell I was on the brink of purchasing something and so she loaded me up with a slew of sample vials. I had not asked her for anything but a paper strip to spray on. I rewarded her generosity a few weeks later with a significant purchase.
10 years ago
No such "relationship" for me.

I have increasingly purchased online as I have made rather bad experiences with sales personnel in general. Sometimes you get a lot of "goodies", another time (with a similar purchase value) you get nothing. This is why I tend to buy online at my favourite addresses (one offers 3 samples of your own choice with your full size purchse) - no hazzle, no disappointed expectations.

Here in Germany I find sales staff in stores quite difficult and I avoid them whenever I can.
10 years ago
Cruella:
Sales attendants are dumb and stupid, rude too, and were I live they NEVER give samples. That's why I prefer to buy online, in the end I never get a sample, you literally have to beg and it's never the sample you want or from the brand you just bought or anything. I guess they take them for themselves.

That is a shame you have a bad experience with sales attendants. Lately in my new town they mostly ignore me...which is fine by me.
10 years ago
It all depends who you are dealing with. The sales staff in the department stores are not very educated. In the fine boutiques, like Aedes de Venustas, MIN, Osswald, BergdorfGoodman, Hermes, you get trained personnel happy to help and make a sale, of course. The difference is the level of perfume knowledge, and the fine boutiques have trained people. Osswald was a fine perfume experience.

Don't think that all are alike. Venting here, well ...

Just go with a written List and do the best you can. Be polite, talk shop and don't appear only to hunt for samples.
10 years ago
This weekend I did a lot of sniffing and exploring in a variety of department stores and boutiques. A few towns over there is a fantastic cluster of perfume-heavy establishments where the gamut from high-end niche to designer may be tested freely and, where samples have been offered to me over and over again, without my asking for them.

The SA's I encountered were very bright and on the ball, and made suggestions based on my taste. Because the holiday shopping frenzy is over, they had more time to listen to me. These particular boutiques and department stores obviously have a selective hiring process, because the SA's who work there (for the most part) seem genuinely glad to be there, are very professional and eager to help a perfume nerd like myself to explore and have fun.
7 years ago
PontNeuf:
I have increasingly purchased online as I have made rather bad experiences with sales personnel in general. (...) Here in Germany I find sales staff in stores quite difficult and I avoid them whenever I can.

I am sorry to hear that, PontNeuf. And I am pleased to report this is not always the case in Germany.

A few weeks ago, I realised I actually am in a sales relationship. Went back to a city I used to live in, visiting a friend of mine. Of course, with time at hand I stopped by at the finest perfumery in town, which happens to be Essenza Nobile's HQ. I hadn't been in there for well over a year but the sales rep I used to interact with the most still remembered me - by name, nota bene, and preference (and no, it's not down to having been a regular spendthrift). Anyway, we sampled a few fragrances I was curious about and some other ones she thought might interest me, discussing their merit or lack thereof. Amongst them Le Sillage Blanc, which she put in front of me, remarking that this might be right up my alley - which it is indeed! Bought it. Love it.
They always fill up three samples of any fragrance one fancies to explore and gift them if you buy, and occasionally also if you don't.
I so enjoy to do perfume shopping/discovering like this!
26 - 35 by 35
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community your sales relationship
Jump to