Random thoughts on Reviews

51 - 75 by 187
11 years ago
Hilarious!
11 years ago
Digindirt:
Cryptic:
Res ipsa loquitur.

Just an FYI, since I took the time to look up the meaning of this quote, Im planning to work it into one of my reviews one day. See, my reviews are getting better already!

Snobbishery alarm! Wink
Last edited by MiaTrost on 14.11.2017, 04:55; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
MiaVonTrost:
Digindirt:
Cryptic:
Res ipsa loquitur.

Just an FYI, since I took the time to look up the meaning of this quote, Im planning to work it into one of my reviews one day. See, my reviews are getting better already!

Snobbishery alarm! Wink

I learn from the best
11 years ago
After reading here, I hesitate to write reviews at all. They make for drama. And all it is, is one person's favorite perfume against another person's favorite perfume. Why so personal? Because the memories and the perceptions make for a sensitive skin, after all, when the perfume is attacked, the person is attacked also.

Now, it seems safe for some to just copy ... that is not a good idea. Not even sticking the neck out to put down the own opinion !

Sometimes, I wonder what a perfume club is supposed to be. A battlefield of opinions? No wonder that some just lurk and never post.
11 years ago
Pipette:
After reading here, I hesitate to write reviews at all. They make for drama. And all it is, is one person's favorite perfume against another person's favorite perfume. Why so personal? Because the memories and the perceptions make for a sensitive skin, after all, when the perfume is attacked, the person is attacked also.

Now, it seems safe for some to just copy ... that is not a good idea. Not even sticking the neck out to put down the own opinion !

Sometimes, I wonder what a perfume club is supposed to be. A battlefield of opinions? No wonder that some just lurk and never post.

Never hesitate to write reviews here! I have enjoyed writing reviews here...I have somehow felt free...if someone wants to lurk...let them..they may learn something! I love reading the reviews here...they are written with the heart..and that is good! My opinion will probably be different to someone else, but that makes for interesting reading, and comparing opinions! I love reading reviews that are against a certain fragrance...that is also an honest opinion, from the writer...Why do all fragrances have to be perfect, or wonderful?....No...I have also written negative reviews...and it needs to be done! Keep writing dear Pipette...everyone's opinion is valued!!
11 years ago
Pipette:

While I treasure the memories connected to my favorite fragrances I certainly wouldn't take it personally if someone else dislikes that fragrance or writes a review contrary to my cherished opinion. I hope I have more of a spine than that! And I certainly haven't seen anything on Parfumo that constitutes a "battlefield of opinions" when it comes to likes or dislikes of fragrances. To the contrary, compared to other fragrance forums, Parfumo seems like the most supportive, civil and thoughtful place for expressing one's opinion in a review.

When I post a review that seems against the tide of popular opinion or on the rare occasion when someone questions my opinions (they always ask politely, I might add), I try to use it as an opportunity to learn or to be reflective about my beliefs rather than feel as though I'm being attacked. As a matter of fact, just recently Dalmajen wrote a reply to one of my reviews that caused me to go back and re-evaluate the fragrance and edit my review. She helped me realize I had missed a significant aspect of the fragrance precisely because I was so wedded to my opinions.

There's too little time in life to take a difference of opinion as a slight. Please, Pipette, post your reviews, find opportunities to learn from all these wonderful people and if someone says something unkind about your favorite fragrance just let it go because you probably won't change their mind anyway.
Last edited by Greysolon on 29.03.2013, 03:13; edited 2 times in total
11 years ago
I posted a positive review of the infamous Sunflowers here and did not get heckled. That should tell you all you need to know about Parfumo's civility and willingness to accept unpopular views.
11 years ago
Cryptic:
I posted a positive review of the infamous Sunflowers here and did not get heckled. That should tell you all you need to know about Parfumo's civility and willingness to accept unpopular views.

Cryptic, my guilty pleasures are Pi and Bvlgari Aqua Toniq ShockedVery Happy

Dlane, excellent distinctions. But the fact remains, I don't recall a review being so blatantly and rudely spanked. If it has happened, then it's an exceptional exception to the otherwise polite and friendly nature of Parfumo.
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
You're right, Greysolon. We have a very civil group here, thank goodness. I am at a loss as to why more folks aren't writing reviews. This site isn't like some fragrance sites, in which insults fly at the drop of a hat, and folks make fun of others.

I think it's still fear that the insults will fly. I was intially afraid to review some of the lower end stuff for that reason because I had gotten heat before for liking it, or was ignored after suggesting something cheap and cheery rather than high end designer stuff. It is not like that here. Everyone coexists rather nicely and has something to contribute.
11 years ago
I have never written a review. It would be hard for me. I enjoy reading others and awarding them. To go off topic for a minute, I take pictures of the fragrances and that is more or less my review.
Rolling Eyes
11 years ago
Thanks Dlane.

I clicked on submit to soon. I wanted to say I have taken pictures of some of the lower end fragrances and I haven't had any negative comments and they have been awarded. One comment comes to mind was Sunflowers by EA, our dear Shera's comment was she never could wear Sunflowers or something along those lines. Nothing wrong with that comment.

Do we all enjoy the same foods, If I can afford to eat steak does that mean hambugers are no good for anyone else to eat.
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
Great photos, Cincy, they are beautifully done and your contributions are a treat every time!

+1
11 years ago
Gmmcnair:
Dlane1953:
Great photos, Cincy, they are beautifully done and your contributions are a treat every time!

+1

I couldn't agree more.
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
These are two very distinct categories; style of writing (IE: "You shouldn't do this, or should do that, to write an effective review, because your current style is awful") is very distinct from writing an negative review of a fragrance that someone else adores: (IE "You wrote a review of my favorite frag and I think you are very wrong in saying it's bad!")

Writing reviews doesn't make for drama, as Pippette asserts; our reactions to reviews creates drama. As long as the critical reader carefully chooses words to make his/her point in a consise,clear, and polite, way, I think that any reviewer is happy to hear them out. But all of us must remember that loving fragrance is a subjective business and "one size doesn't fit all".
This is why there is no point in berating the writer who posted a negative review for your favorite scent; he/she meant no personal affront to you. Nor is there any wisdom in attempting to correct the writing style of the reviewer,(for this, to the contrary of the previous example) is very personal. That, my dears, is where the drama steps in.

That's it in a nutshell. Pipette, in reading between the lines I think you're upset because your friend was taken to task. While I applaud your loyalty, I think that if you try to look at what happened objectively you'll see that her behaviour was unacceptable. On the one hand, I'm sorry that she feels unwelcome but on the other I would hate to see a repeat performance of the previous incidents.
11 years ago
Cryptic:

LOL!! Poor Sunflowers. Just trying to be all cheerful and stuff, and people be hatin'!

Yes, cryptic, it does say something about Parfumo that you're allowed to have an unpopular opinion. I think anyone with a backbone will go against the general consensus on a regular basis. That's just the way it is.

I have a theory about at least one other site (the one I call the F site) which is that a certain feature brings out the internet equivalent of road rage in people, which is the ability to thumb down a review into nonexistence. The more I think about that feature, the dumber it seems.

Sometimes someone might dislike a perfume so strongly, they can't help but blatantly insult the taste and judgment of anyone who does like it. But really, who cares? Since these are all PUBLIC forums, every kind of opinion under the sun exists here, so taking to heart someone's criticism of your taste is like taking to heart the opinion of some stranger you spoke to for 3 minutes at Starbucks this morning. It wouldn't (or at least it shouldn't) happen.
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Dlane1953:
These are two very distinct categories; style of writing (IE: "You shouldn't do this, or should do that, to write an effective review, because your current style is awful") is very distinct from writing an negative review of a fragrance that someone else adores: (IE "You wrote a review of my favorite frag and I think you are very wrong in saying it's bad!")

Writing reviews doesn't make for drama, as Pippette asserts; our reactions to reviews creates drama. As long as the critical reader carefully chooses words to make his/her point in a consise,clear, and polite, way, I think that any reviewer is happy to hear them out. But all of us must remember that loving fragrance is a subjective business and "one size doesn't fit all".
This is why there is no point in berating the writer who posted a negative review for your favorite scent; he/she meant no personal affront to you. Nor is there any wisdom in attempting to correct the writing style of the reviewer,(for this, to the contrary of the previous example) is very personal. That, my dears, is where the drama steps in.

That's it in a nutshell. Pipette, in reading between the lines I think you're upset because your friend was taken to task. While I applaud your loyalty, I think that if you try to look at what happened objectively you'll see that her behaviour was unacceptable. On the one hand, I'm sorry that she feels unwelcome but on the other I would hate to see a repeat performance of the previous incidents.

No, cryptic, that is not it. The Eurochic issue was dealt with and resolved. I understand and accept that.
"in reading between the lines ... " you are assuming, and that is not a certainty.
What I mean is that on the German site there have been several dramas, and I cannot repeat them here. Drama, oh yes. That's all I meant.

About being upset - yes I am UPSET. But, we cannot discuss political issues here. If any of you want to share about what I am really UPSET, go into google and dig up some documentaries which shed a conspiracy light on the events of 9/11. Then, you may be UPSET yourself or at least understand why I am UPSET. This is such a horrendous awakening from being brainwashed, that I have to take a few days to get over it.
Perfume issues, reviews, smells, are nothing compared to when your beliefs in your adopted country are shaken up.
Last edited by Pipette on 29.03.2013, 17:49; edited 2 times in total
51 - 75 by 187
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Random thoughts on Reviews
Jump to