Search Forum

More reviews please!

More reviews please! 11 years ago
Although I'm a firm believer in Quality vs Quantity, seeing virtually hundreds of reviews per fragrance on Frantica - as opposed to one or two, maximum five here - still makes me go there for reviews. Even with half of them being meaningless one-liners, it still leaves a fair amount of different takes on each perfume.

So please, let's make an effort.

Like finding a way to specifically request reviews from users who have under-reviewed fragrances in their wardrobes. I'm not sure how it would work technically, maybe someone will have a better idea?

Or just committing to write one or two for those unreviewed fumes in our own collections? That's what I'm going to do, anyway.

And definitely encouraging those silent lurkers who think Parfumo is too snooty to accommodate their reviews!!!

I know everyone has a life and blah-blah, but c'mon, the hobby is part of that life, isn't it?
11 years ago
Thank you, ChapeauClack, for this statement. I can only second that!

It is so good to write a perfume review!

Some people, at the end of the day, sit down, open a precious bottle of wine, have a pipe or a cigar and get to rest by getting aware what they are smelling or tasting.

We do just the same with perfume.

So, don't be shy, just try it. All reviews will be respected and appreciated - especially those with some effort behind it.

Do you need some help or ideas how to do it? Please have a look at my blog entry about how-to write a perfume review:

www.parfumo.com/Users/Apicius/Blog
The Unison of the twin sites 11 years ago
A few reviews are trickling in from the German site in form of translations.
Those German members will appreciate replies ... to make it worthwhile.

Now that the whole membership is constantly visible on the Who's Here List, let's get to know each other.
11 years ago
I'll try. I feel that not many active members are into the same fragrances as me, so I feel a little shy writing about something so few people like. But I have some free time this weekend and will see what I can do.
11 years ago
I would love to learn about fragrances I might normally not reach out for, Hayven. Very Happy
11 years ago
I try not to compare my reviewing abilities (or lack thereof) to other people's, but it's obvious that the long, interesting ones with extensive note descriptions are most appreciated, and I just don't have the energy most of the time to make the effort. I do love reading these types of reviews myself, so I feel most of the time I will disappoint the readership with my inadequacy. Smile
11 years ago
@ Hayven: Please do write, it would be boring if we all liked the same!

@ Dulcemio: It depends on if you would have fun writing, that's important and normally we learn by doing.

Actually, I enjoy writing (reviews) and I know it can be hard work... but I want to encourage everyone.
Last edited by cItypark on 16.07.2013, 07:00; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
I haven't written a review for a while now, and do miss it! It is not because i don't want to write any, but just have not have the time. I usually write my reviews during the winter when i'm not working, and can test my samples in peace. I prefer writting my reviews here, rather than on fragrantica, as there seems to be a much more positive vibe here, and feel much more in touch with the wonderful members here. I also enjoy reading all the greatl reviews that are written on here.
11 years ago
Earlier in my life I used to write creatively a lot and really enjoyed it. Nowadays it seems more like a chore, I guess because I have so many other thoughts in my head at any given moment. Laughing However, lots of people here are much busier in life than I am, but their interesting and eloquent reviews just seem to roll effortlessly onto the screen. For me it takes more effort, I think. But I will try to do some "quick and dirty" ones when I get inspired.
11 years ago
I have been persuaded, since this site initially opened, that "reviews" will be the catalyst for bringing in the enthusiasts desired to make this a success.

Banter on the forums is all well and good. They definitely serve a few purposes, but the "respect" and traffic will undoubtedly derive from those searching for fragrance opinions.

We have the opportunity, because of the knowledgeable members here, to draw these future searchers into Parfumo. So far, our reviews may be less in number, but higher in quality, compared to those on other sites.
11 years ago
They are definitely higher in quality. That is because the members try to put down good reviews.

It does not really matter much to receive Awards or Parfumo Points or be placed among the list of Most Acclaimed Reviews or be among the best Authors ... BUT

little incentives like this keep the writer on the toes. Moreover, a lively exchange can follow as each review is read and in turn commented upon.

Interaction on many levels.

BN and Fragr don't have this type of intricate structure. BN filters the reviews - Fragr does not filter them.

Other than the Reviews, the DATABANK counts. If an outsider looks for a perfume, finds it in the Parfumo Databank AND THEN READS INTELLIGENT REVIEWS,

then all good things come together.
11 years ago
I write if I have some time and me too I can not write long elaborate reviews these days, but if I see something not reviewed yet, I will try.
Search machines 11 years ago
When I look up perfumes, I noticed that parfumo appears only very seldom in the search results yet - but that is how I discovered this site. I like the variety of perfumes here and there are many the other sites don't have in their databases.
11 years ago
Yes, it was quite hard to find this database via Google - and I was so afraid that I will lose the address Smile

Anyway - it is really hard to write so good quality reviews as many others here, the standard is high, and after a certain number of reviews I felt that I am only repeating myself, and can not say anything new.

It is also a big queston in the mind, that if someone is writing about a perfume which is not so popular, almost nobody has it, will someone read that review at all?

The people here are so gentle and eminent, nobody is harsh and humor is also a bit rare in reviews. I am so glad, that I can find here so civilized, nuanced opinions!
For me it is also hard to find the balance between a dry analysis and a totally emotional description.
11 years ago
I'd love to help but my writing skill is very limited and often I don't express myself the way I want also I dont feel I could contribute anything of value in a review.

My nose is not educated or sensitive enough to recognize specific notes and most dry downs smell the same to me. Fragrances on my skin often dont smell to me like they seem to on others based on their reviews, I have been told my skin is very acidic (it ate right thru the band of my gold wedding ring in under 2 years), fragrances also do not last very long on me usually under 2 hours.

FYI - I found this site on google only because I was searching for a review of a fragrance that isnt on fragrantica.
11 years ago
All words are valuable here, Madkat. I write about perfumes I don't think the majority of people like here. But someday there will be people who do, and we'll be pioneers!
7 years ago
Hayven wrote:
All words are valuable here, Madkat. I write about perfumes I don't think the majority of people like here. But someday there will be people who do, and we'll be pioneers!

Very true, and I find especially reviews on "minor" ones valuable Smile (which don't have a perceived number of 3000 reviews - often by the same person under different names, not on Parfumo but elsewhere- paraphrasing the same content)
At least the reviews here come from an honestly felt wish to express one's thoughts, not based on 'incentives' like weekly freebies, as another website has been doing so for some time... Conveniently enough, they don't care about authentic identities--so, posting under someone else's name without disclosing is absolutely legit there, as long as it only adds to the quantity.
Curiously, out of all the languages the website offers, it's only the German site that is hosting this weekly prize...seems to work out well, even 'motivating' a few German members here to relocate their reviewing activities Wink

I am glad Parfumo does not reward quantity over everything else--thus, we may well be spared of all those countless sockpuppets who are under protection elsewhere.
Last edited by Anessa on 21.07.2017, 06:04; edited 4 times in total
7 years ago
I think it helps that Parfumo offers statements--short little blurbs about a fragrance.

So, if you don't have time for a longer review, simply write a statement! Those are helpful, too!
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community More reviews please!
Jump to